Featuring butternut squash, lean turkey and a whole host of veggies, this Butternut Squash Turkey Chili is so hearty and so delicious, you’ll have trouble believing it’s diet-friendly! Prepare a big batch and freeze it so you have it on hand to enjoy as the nights get colder.
Counting as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Extra and one Vegetable, this savory soup is the perfect base for a flex meal. Need a refresher on flex meals? We’ve got you covered here.
Servings: Makes 6, 1 cup bowls (1 cup counts as 1 serving)
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Extra and 1 Vegetable
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 Tbsp. serrano pepper, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 ½ cup beans (pinot, black, kidney)
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. paprika
- In a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil to Med-High.
- Add onion, garlic and ground turkey. Cook until ground turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the 2 remaining teaspoons of olive oil, bell pepper, serrano pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomato (with juice), chicken broth, butternut squash and beans. Bring to a boil.
- Adjust heat to low, partially cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is soft.