Mexican night just got a whole lot easier with the help of an Instant Pot—the newest kitchen appliance that is so versatile, you can use it for every meal occasion. This kitchen tool can be used as a pressure cooker, a saute-er, a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a steamer, a yogurt maker and a food warmer. Whip up a batch of carnitas for the family to enjoy Mexican night the healthy way with the help of this easy-to-use Instant Pot.
Chicken or beef carnitas? That decision is up to you! Whichever meat you choose to use, you’ll combine it with flavorful onion, tasty garlic, fire roasted tomatoes and spicy chili powder. But this recipe doesn’t stop there—you’ll also be topping your carnitas with juicy pico de gallo, creamy avocado and zesty cilantro. Talk about a full-on Mexican dish—and one that’s Nutrisystem-approved. Spice up your flex meal menu and create delicious carnitas by simply adding your ingredients to the Instant Pot and switching your settings accordingly. So simple… so tasty! What more could you ask for?
This simple and delicious Instant Pot recipe creates four (two-tortilla) servings, with each serving clocking in at just 306 calories—so it fits in perfectly with your healthy lifestyle. On your Nutrisystem meal plan, each serving of carnitas counts as two PowerFuels, one SmartCarb and one Extra. Be sure to log your carnitas in your easy-to-use NuMi app > Research suggests that logging your daily food intake can improve weight loss results. Check out the many benefits of using the NuMi app right here >
Calories per Serving: 306
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 12 oz boneless chicken breast or lean pork, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-10 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- 8 corn tortillas
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- In your Instant Pot, add oil, chicken or pork, garlic, onion, black pepper, cumin, chili powder and diced tomatoes.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot and close the valve. Set the manual timer to 20 minutes (chicken) or 30 minutes (pork).
- When the pot beeps finished, allow instant pot to naturally release and shred meat with two forks. Return to pot.
- Serve in corn tortillas with pico de gallo, avocado and garnish with chopped cilantro.