Let’s face it—comfort food is the best food, and we often feel restricted in the comfort food department when making the decision to eat healthy. We are here to tell you that you do not have to deprive yourself of all of your favorite foods, especially your favorite comfort foods. That would be a travesty! This Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is so delicious, you’ll want to add it as a permanent staple on your weekly menu.
This recipe creates six servings, so it’s perfect to make for a packed household, a dinner party or even to meal prep for the week ahead. Simply combine veggies, spices, olive oil and chicken breast for the mouthwatering Chicken Pot Pie, and then use whole wheat pastry flour to create the crispy, flaky and golden biscuit topping. Onions and garlic make this unmistakable flavor to die for, while chicken adds protein to fill you up, and celery, carrots, parsnips and peas pack in the nutrition. Milk is added for that creaminess that is necessary for a classic Chicken Pot Pie, and chicken broth finishes off this perfection in a dish.
Topped with the homemade biscuit topping, your taste buds will be counting down the minutes until the timer goes off on the oven. We know, it’s hard to believe this dish can get any better, but this Chicken Pot Pie recipe has only 266 calories per-serving—so it’s the perfect classic, comfort food to add to your menu when you need a pick-me-up but don’t want to fall off track. One serving also counts as just one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels and half a vegetable.
Don’t forget to log your Chicken Pot Pie on the NuMi app to ensure you are staying on target with your weight loss goals. You can log your Chicken Pot Pie right here on the NuMi app >
Calories per Serving: 267
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels and ½ Vegetable
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced (about 3 celery stalks)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely diced (about 2 large)
- ½ cup parsnips, peeled and finely diced (about 1 large)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour (divided)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, turning frequently and until no longer pink for about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to stove and add water, onion, celery, carrots, parsnips, garlic and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add whole wheat pastry flour, salt and pepper to pan and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Add green peas, milk and chicken and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened (for about 5 minutes).
- For whole wheat biscuit topping: Stir together 3/4 cup pastry flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 cup skim milk and 2 Tbsp. of melted butter in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once pot pie mixture has thickened, remove from heat. Spoon small dollops of biscuit mixture on top and spread (it does not need to be even).
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.