Bring paradise to your own kitchen with this Jamaican-inspired Jackfruit Bowl! It will take you straight to the Caribbean by combining jerk seasoning, tropical fruit and plant-based ingredients.
Jackfruit is an amazing meat-substitute and will be the perfect addition to your meatless Monday menu. Get started with this vegetarian feast by rinsing and shredding your jackfruit. Sauté it in one teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat with the jerk seasoning mixture (this will be a tasty combination of spices including garlic and onion powder, thyme, oregano, cayenne and black pepper!). Cook this for about two to three minutes, then add lime juice, water and sugar. Simmer for another fifteen to twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is dry, add in one teaspoon of olive oil and roast until golden. In a separate pan, sauté shredded cabbage with olive oil over medium heat for two to three minutes until it is soft. Assemble your bowl with a half cup of jackfruit, a quarter cup of black beans, two tablespoons of diced mango, a half cup of sauteed cabbage and a half cup of arugula. Serve and enjoy!
Each jackfruit bowl comes in at 159 calories and counts as one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and one Extra on your Nutrisystem plan. Feel free to add more non-starchy veggies to the mix in order to get in those four required servings! Keep track of your meals and log this Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Bowl in our easy-to-use NuMi app. NuMi is the perfect resource to help you stay accountable, keep track of your meals, and be successful! Get started by creating your free NuMi account here >
Looking for more meatless Monday inspiration? Check out these other Nutrisystem-approved recipes!:
- Vegetarian Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles >
- Tofu Taco Bowl >
- Beet Burger With Walnuts >
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich >
Want a vegetarian meal plan without all the prep-work? Nutrisystem has a program for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 159
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 20 oz. can jackfruit
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ cup mango, diced
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Jerk Jackfruit
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Shred in a food processor.
- Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shredded jackfruit and dry spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until roasted.
- Add lime juice, water and sugar. Partially cover and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes or until mixture is dry. Stir occasionally.
- Add in 1 tsp. of olive oil and continue cooking until golden.
- Sautéed Cabbage
- Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cabbage is soft.
- Assemble Bowl
- Place ½ cup of the jackfruit in a bowl. Top with ¼ cup of black beans, 2 Tbsp. of mango, ½ cup of cabbage and ½ cup of arugula. Serve immediately.