Say goodbye to fast casual and hello to Tofu Taco Bowl night.
Now, vegetarians can get in on all of the Mexican cuisine fun and leave the table deeply satisfied. This isn’t the only group that’ll take to Tofu Taco Bowls though. This is an option for meat eaters, pescetarians and even those who’d rather not put a label on their eating habits. Tofu acts as an empty canvas, painted with exciting spices. It wouldn’t be a taco bowl without cumin, jalapeno and bright, beautiful bell peppers. Let’s not forget the pico de gallo and avo. Thankfully, the sources of this meal’s beauty and flavor are also incredibly nutritious. Vitamins galore, all under 300 calories.
And Tofu Taco Bowls cover all the basics when it comes to creating your flex meal, as one serving counts as a SmartCarb, PowerFuel, Vegetable and two Extras. This one works as a flex lunch, as is, for women, but can be boosted into a flex lunch for men or a flex dinner for men and women by incorporating an extra PowerFuel (such as an extra serving of tofu or a slice of low-fat cheese). Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app >
Still need help deciphering these terms? Find out what SmartCarbs and PowerFuels are here >
Calories per Serving: 293
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- ½ cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1-14 oz. package extra firm tofu
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Miscellaneous Ingredients
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Combine rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to low-simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, keep lid on and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, lime juice and lime zest.
- Drain tofu and press it between a clean towel to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Dice tofu into small cubes (about half of an inch each). In a large bowl, combine tofu cubes with lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno and seasonings. Mix until tofu is evenly coated.
- Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add tofu to the skillet. Cook for 10-15 minutes, tossing periodically, until the tofu is golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet on medium-high. Mist with cooking spray.
- Add thinly sliced pepper. Stir frequently and cook until peppers are soft.
- In a large bowl, begin layering ingredients: half of a cup rice, one-fourth of the tofu, one-fourth of the sautéed peppers, one-fourth of a cup shredded cabbage, one-fourth of a cup pico de gallo, and one-fourth of the avocado.