Rainbow Vegetable SkewersRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses, Sides
Brighten up your grill with these rainbow vegetable skewers! They are the perfect addition to your end-of-summer cookouts.
You’ll be eating the rainbow with these colorful veggie skewers. They are not only beautiful, they’re also good for you! Filling your plate with a variety of colors is important for optimal health (Click here to learn why these five colors should always be on your plate >). Each one of these skewers combines an array of hues including red cherry tomatoes, orange bell peppers, yellow pineapple, green zucchini, red onions and purple baby potatoes. Stack each veggie in rainbow order, intermixing three pieces of marinated chicken throughout. Throw them on the grill for about eight to ten minutes until cooked through, rotating frequently. Stack on a plate and enjoy your colorful creation!
One of these Rainbow Vegetable Skewers is only 134 calories and counts as one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem program. Feel free to add on more non-starchy veggies, or serve over a salad if you would like to count it towards your daily vegetables servings! You could also serve it with a half ear of corn, just make sure to count it towards one of your SmartCarbs for the day.
Keep track of your PowerFuels, SmartCarbs and Vegetables with our easy-to-use NuMi app! NuMi is designed to help you be successful and pairs perfectly with your Nutrisystem program. Create your free NuMi account here >
Looking for more hand-held meals to add to your menu? Check out our other skewer recipes below!:
- Fruit on a Stick with Yogurt Dip >
- Brussels Sprout Skewers with Mustard Marinade >
- Marinated Steak Kebabs >
- Pasta and Meatball Skewers >
- Marinated Greek Chicken Skewers >
- Pineapple Chicken Kebabs >
If you don’t feel like firing up the grill, Nutrisystem’s got you covered! Sign up for one of our four-week programs here >
Servings: 6 (1 skewer = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 134
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ zucchini, sliced and halved
- ½ red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2-3 layers each)
- 6 purple baby potatoes
- 1 lb. chicken, cut into 18 cubes
- 6 skewers
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl and add chicken cubes. Mix well and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil baby potatoes in a small pot of water for 6-8 minutes, or until slightly soft. Drain.
- On each skewer, thread (in order) 1 cherry tomato, 1 piece of orange bell pepper, 1 piece of chicken, 1 pineapple chunk, 1 zucchini slice, 1 piece of chicken, 1 slice of red onion and 1 purple potato. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- On a preheated grill, cook skewers for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through, rotating frequently.