On the hunt for a flavorful flex meal that’s as hearty as it is healthy? Say hello to Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff.
Featuring all the ingredients of the traditional dish, including top round roast, beef broth, onions, mushrooms and noodles, this dish is packed with the savory flavor you crave but goes lighter on calories and fat by making some healthy (and unnoticeable!) substitutions. Brimming with flavor thanks to a delightful combination of parsley, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, sea salt and black pepper, this lighter take on the comfort food classic is so tasty, you would never guess it’s good for you, too!
Delicious and nutritious? Does it get any better than that?! In fact, it does! This dish is prepared in everyone’s favorite piece of kitchen equipment, the slow cooker, which means that for the most part, all you have to do is dump all of the tasty ingredients into your crockpot, then just set it and forget it! We love the convenience of slow cooker recipes, and always appreciate any recipe that makes a few extra servings for the family (or for leftovers throughout the week!). Making six satisfying servings, this Beef Stroganoff recipe checks all of those boxes and so, so many more.
Just be sure to log your beef stroganoff in NuMi, your free tracking app. With NuMi, you can log your food, water, weight and activity, so you’ll keep yourself honest all the way to your weight loss goal. Plus, once you download this handy tool, you’ll get access to hundreds of recipes just like this one, helpful weight loss tips and information from our team of nutrition experts and exclusive sales and discounts on all your favorite Nutrisystem foods and products. Come on, does it get any better than that?! Click here to log this recipe in NuMi >
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Calories per Serving: 239
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 1 lb. extra lean top round roast
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup two percent fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups whole wheat egg noodles, uncooked
- Place meat into the freezer for 30 minutes (this will make it easier to slice). Slice into short strips approximately a half-inch thick. In the slow cooker, combine onion, mushrooms, beef strips and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, salt, black pepper and beef broth. Pour into slow cooker and stir contents.
- Cover and cook on low for six to seven hours.
- About 30 minutes before it’s done, add in the cornstarch/broth mixture. Continue cooking until sauce has thickened. Then, stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Cook the egg noodles according to their package directions. Serve stroganoff over hot egg noodles.