If you are a spicy food superfan, you’re going to absolutely love these delectable Spicy Shrimp Quesadillas. Jalapenos, chili powder and a dash of cayenne powder combine to add some serious heat to perfectly tender shrimp, which is then topped with melt-y cheddar cheese and cloaked in a low calorie whole wheat tortilla, in this delicious dish that’s quickly become a favorite among our customers.
At just 221 calories and counting as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one Extra, this Spicy Shrimp Quesadilla makes a perfect flex meal. (Still fuzzy on flex meals? Click here for the skinny >). And, it’s super simple to make so you don’t have to clear your schedule to pull this palate-pleasing masterpiece together. But that’s not even the best part about this Spicy Shrimp Quesadilla. We love that this dish is totally customizable. So if you like a more mild heat, you can tone down the spices. Like to sweat your way through your meals? Then add a little more of the heat-providing ingredients.
No matter how you like to eat your Spicy Shrimp Quesadilla, be sure to log the meal in our free tracking app, NuMi. Studies suggest that people who log their food intake tend to have better success with weight loss. With NuMi, you can do so much more than log your food. You can also log water, activity and weight. Plus, you get exclusive access to hundreds of healthy, plan-friendly recipes, weight loss tips and tricks, and exclusive access to special offers and discounts on all your favorite Nutrisystem foods and products. Click here to learn more about all the benefits of NuMi >
Love spicy food? Click here to check out the Top 10 Spicy Nutrisystem Meals According to Customers > Got Mexican food on the mind? Click here to check out 20 of our favorites Mexican-inspired recipes >
If you’re planning on heading out on the town to get your Mexican fix, we highly recommend you read the article below first. Its got tons of tips for enjoying your meal at any Mexican restaurant without totally destroying your diet.
Servings: Makes 1 serving
Calories per Serving: 221
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 2 oz. small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (~6 small shrimp)
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- ¼ cup diced bell peppers
- ½ small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 green onion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 low carbohydrate wheat tortilla (~60 calories each)
- 2 Tbsp. pico de gallo and lime wedges for serving
- Heat a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, toss shrimp with chili powder and cayenne.
- Add bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook for two to three minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add shrimp and cook for two minutes on each side. Remove peppers and shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Mist the nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place the tortilla in the pan. On half of the tortilla, sprinkle half of the cheese, then top with the peppers, shrimp, green onion and cilantro. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, then fold the tortilla in half to cover the fillings.
- Cook for two to three minutes and then carefully flip and cook for an additional two to three minutes, or until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with pico de gallo and a lime wedge.