Nothing beats the smell of a hearty beef stew cooking in your kitchen. It fills the room with a tantalizing aroma, inviting you to curl up on the couch and spend a cozy evening indoors. But it’s not just about the smell; Dutch Oven Beef stew is also incredibly delicious! The tender chunks of succulent beef, vibrant vegetables and rich broth all blend together perfectly to create one comforting bowl of goodness.
Get ready for some serious comfort food that you can feel good about eating- we’re talking all natural ingredients, minimal prep time and easy clean up afterwards – so let’s get cookin’!
How to Make Beef Stew in a Dutch Oven
Are you looking for a hearty and warming meal? Dutch Oven Beef Stew is the perfect option! This classic dish requires minimal effort but delivers maximum flavor. Blending unbelievable aroma with slow-cooked tenderness, it will warm your home and fill anyone’s tummy with an abundance of nourishment. Plus, this one pot cooker is virtually foolproof – just the thing for busy cooks who want a tasty yet fuss-free meal.
You’ll be rewarded with tender cubes of beef, potatoes, parsnips and carrots that all soak up the delicious flavors of herbs like thyme, bay leaves and garlic. Whether enjoyed around the dinner table or as leftovers throughout the week, this traditional meal is sure to satisfy every healthy eater’s appetite!
Get your oven preheating to a cozy 325 degrees and start by coating large chunks of beef chuck in whole wheat flour. Add some olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté it until golden-brown perfection is achieved – yum!
Set the meat aside, then add some chopped onions and garlic into your Dutch Oven with olive oil to create an aromatic base flavor. Throw in some mushrooms too; they’ll give you plenty of umami goodness when cooked down for five minutes or so.
Give everything one last stir after pouring broth onto those flavorful veggies at the bottom, stirring it up together with tomato paste, pepper, bay leaves and glorious thyme sprigs.
Transfer the meal into your preheated oven and let it cook for 90 minutes without the lid. Add potatoes, parsnips and carrots to the pot, top it with the lid and let it cook for another hour. Finally, remove the bay leaves an thyme sprigs before serving this hearty and healthy meal. Don’t forget to log each serving in your NuMi app journal!
More Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
Looking for more warm and cozy recipes that fit into your Nutrisystem weight loss plan? Check out these other delicious ideas:
Calories per Serving: 293
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 ½ PowerFuels, 1 Extra and 1 ½ Vegetables
- 1 lb. lean beef stew (beef chuck) meat, cut into large chunks
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 4 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat beef in flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, brown the meat for a few minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to Dutch oven. Add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add a little bit of broth and stir to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add remaining broth, tomato paste, pepper, bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 90 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and add carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Cover with the lid and place back in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs before serving.