Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Vegetables (High-Protein Recipe!)Recipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Make mealtime easier with your slow cooker! You can create a protein-packed, fiber-rich meal featuring fabulous flavors, simple steps and easy cleanup. We’ve done just that with this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Vegetables recipe that’s healthy, easy and delicious!
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Take ordinary chicken and veggies to the next level with a homemade honey garlic sauce. Simply whisk together a little water and cornstarch with low sodium soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, minced garlic cloves, grated ginger and sesame oil in your slow cooker.
This Asian-inspired combination of ingredients provides a ton of flavor without too many calories. The soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger are all considered Free Foods on Nutrisystem, meaning they are low calorie (less than 10 calories per serving!) and unlimited. Honey and sesame oil count towards your daily Extras.
Submerge your chicken in the homemade honey garlic sauce, cover with the slow cooker lid and cook on LOW. After about four hours, mix together a little more cornstarch and water and stir this into the slow cooker; this will thicken up the sauce a bit.
Next, add the veggies. We love this meal with broccoli florets and sliced bell peppers. However, you can try it with other non-starchy options that you enjoy! Mushrooms, tomatoes and snap peas would also be delicious.
After adding the vegetables, set your slow cooker to LOW for one hour, then turn it up to HIGH for another hour. After it’s done cooking, remove the chicken breast and cut it up into large chunks. Place it back into the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients before serving. Garnish your meal with chopped scallions and red pepper flakes if you’re craving some heat!
Pro Tip: If you’re using frozen broccoli, be sure to let it thaw first before adding it to your slow cooker!
This Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Vegetables dinner contains 318 calories. It makes a total of four servings (perfect for family dinner!), with each serving counting as two PowerFuels, three Extras and one Vegetable on the Nutrisystem weight loss plan. Keep track of this meal and your daily Extras with our FREE NuMi app!
Feel free to serve this honey garlic chicken with a SmartCarb, such as a half-cup of cooked brown rice, baked sweet potato or cooked quinoa. You can also add some Free Foods to your good carb—think spices, fresh herbs or low-calorie butter spray. However, avoid adding more Extras since this chicken recipe used up all three for the day.
Even More High-Protein Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more high-protein slow cooker recipes? Check out these other tasty ideas that fit into your Nutrisystem program:
- Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Breast >
- Slow Cooker Roasted Turkey >
- Easy Slow Cooker Taco Soup with Ground Beef >
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Chicken Stew >
- Slow Cooker Brisket Chili >
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup >
Get easy dinners delivered directly to your door with Nutrisystem! Lose weight and get healthy with our simple meal plans, food delivery and amazing support system. Click here to learn more about our weight loss plans! >
Calories per Serving: 318
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 3 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 1 ½ lb. chicken breast
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- In a slow cooker, whisk together ½ cup of water, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker and cover with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir in broccoli and bell peppers. Note: If using frozen broccoli, let it thaw first.
- Cook on LOW for 1 hour and then HIGH for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and cut it up into large chunks. Place it back in the slow cooker.
- Serve with a SmartCarb (brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and garnish with chopped scallions. Add red pepper flakes for spice, if desired.