Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
You did it! You’ve found the winner of all chicken dinners. One taste of this easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe and you’ll understand why it’s such a popular meal. Featuring tender shredded chicken, crispy tortilla strips and crunchy veggies, this Mexican-inspired tortilla soup is sure to be your family’s number one dinner pick!
A Quick and Easy Family Meal
To make this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe, grab your Instant Pot and set it to SAUTE. Add some olive oil and cook up the chopped bell peppers and onions for about five minutes. Next, stir in a medley of spices: We use a spicy combination of minced garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder and black pepper. Finally, add in your chicken breast along with low-sodium chicken broth, a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and corn. Cover the Instant Pot with the lid, set to SEAL and select MANUAL for seven minutes.
Once the seven minutes is up, let the Instant Pot naturally release the steam fully. In the meantime, whip up some tortilla strips if you don’t already have them made. All you have to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place sliced tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet. (Use a zero-calorie cooking spray to grease the pan!) Bake the tortilla strips for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Let them cool to crisp up.
Time Saving Hack: Buy a bag of tortilla chips and crunch them up to save 20 minutes!
Once the Instant Pot is naturally released of pressure, take off the lid. Remove the chicken breast to shred it up and put it back into the soup. Divide the chicken tortilla soup equally among four bowls. Top each bowl with the garnishes: Reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese, diced avocado, chopped cilantro and crispy tortilla strips.
Healthy Instant Pot Meal Prep Ideas
Double up this healthy chicken soup recipe if you’re meal prepping for the week ahead! You’ll have eight tasty servings to enjoy all week long for a healthy dinner in a snap. Just save the garnishes until you’re ready to eat! One serving of this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe contains 434 calories. If you’re losing weight on the Nutrisystem plan, you can log it into your NuMi app journal as one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels, three Extras and one Vegetable serving.
This meal is easy to customize! You can easily swap in shredded steak or turkey for the chicken breast. You can also experiment with different spices and herbs that you enjoy. Non-starchy vegetables are unlimited on Nutrisystem, so add some more or have some fun with new and nutritious veggie add-ins.
Check out these other healthy Instant Pot Recipes that fit into your weight loss plan:
- Instant Pot Chicken Pad Thai >
- Instant Pot Smoked Brisket >
- Instant Pot Turkey Butternut Squash Soup >
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps >
- Instant Pot Broccoli Potato Chowder >
- Instant Pot Beef Stew >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 434
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 3 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips (or can use tortilla chips)
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese, reduced fat
- 1 avocado, diced
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add oil. Once hot, at chopped bell peppers and onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spices. Add chicken and remaining soup ingredients.
- Cover with lid. Set to SEAL and select MANUAL for 7 minutes. Once finished, let it naturally release fully.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350°F. Place tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Let cool. (Skip this step if using tortilla chips.)
- Once the Instant Pot is naturally released of pressure, take off the lid. Remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to soup.
- Divide equally into 4 bowls. Top with cheese, avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips.