Craving the flavors of Louisiana-style cooking? Look no further than this Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo recipe! With its rich flavor, hearty texture and just the right amount of heat, it will likely become one of your favorite meals. Not only is it incredibly flavorful, but it also packs in plenty of protein and veggies without sacrificing taste. Plus, with a slow cooker, you’ll be able to have dinner on the table with minimal effort – perfect for busy weeknights!
We love our slow cookers. Just toss whatever you’ve got sitting in your fridge in with a few cups of liquid, let it cook all day while you’re at work or going about your business, then come home to delicious meals and a great smelling home. Does it get any better than that?
Actually, it does: Since most slow cooker recipes create more servings than you need at one sitting, you’re guaranteed left overs for days to come. Judging by how delicious this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo is, you’re definitely going to want leftovers!
How to Make Chicken Gumbo
It doesn’t get more comforting and hearty than this, with easy ingredients like chicken breast, bell peppers and diced fire roasted tomatoes. With this easy chicken gumbo recipe, all you have to do is prepare the ingredients and let your slow cooker take care of the hard work. This dish is sure to become one of your favorites for those busy weeknights: just throw the ingredients in the pot, switch on the slow cooker, go about your day – then come back hours later to an amazing meal! Even better – it’s healthy too.
Get your slow cooker ready for some warm and cozy comfort food! Start by getting all the veggies prepped first: dice up some onion, green bell pepper and celery. Cut up a juicy chicken breast into one-inch cubes. Then throw it all together! Just dump a can of fire roasted tomatoes, low sodium chicken broth, the cubed chicken pieces, chopped veggies and corn right into a five or six-quart slow cooker.
Sprinkle creole seasoning along with black and cayenne pepper over the top for extra flavor before stirring everything well with a big spoon. Toss the lid on there, then let ‘er cook low n’ slow for around five to six hours (stirring occasionally).
And don’t forget about that cooked brown rice you need as serving accompaniment once it’s done cooking … Now dinner is really gonna hit the spot when youserve this delicious gumbo up nice and hot!
The best thing about this chicken gumbo recipe (aside from the whole “set it and forget it” thing), is that it counts as one SmartCarb and one PowerFuel on the Nutrisystem program.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
Servings: 6 (1 serving = ~2 cups of Chicken Gumbo with ¼ cup brown rice)
Calories per Serving: 236
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 PowerFuel
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 16 oz. chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups of corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ½ Tbsp. creole seasoning
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups brown rice, cooked
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Wash and chop onion, green bell pepper, and celery.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, onion, green bell pepper, celery and corn to a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Then add in creole seasoning, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Stir contents of slow cooker with a large spoon until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir well before serving. Serve over cooked brown rice.