The soup is on! And this is one soup recipe you’re going to want to make over and over again. This Zuppa Toscana is simple, delicious and Italian-inspired, and will keep you on track with your healthy diet. Unlike eating this classic soup at your favorite Italian restaurant, this recipe packs in flavor without packing in the calories.
With traditional Zuppa Toscana ingredients like Italian sausage, potatoes and a creamy broth, this Zuppa Toscana recipe sounds like it may leave you cheating on your diet, but we promise, you won’t be!
This simple recipe is just as delicious as it is easy to make. In fact, we suggest using a slow cooker to make this soup. And who doesn’t love whipping up a tasty recipe in a crock pot? Simply add the ingredients to the slow cooker and return in five to six hours to the aroma of Italian spices filling your kitchen.
The best part about this recipe? It makes six servings, so it’s a perfect pick for those busy days when the family is looking for something on the go. On your Nutrisystem meal plan, each serving counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one-half a Vegetable. Clocking in at just 184 calories, each serving of this mouthwatering soup should still be logged in the NuMi app to ensure you are staying on track with your weight loss goals. Easily log each serving of this Zuppa Toscana right here in the NuMi app >
Soup lover looking for some recipe inspiration? We’ve got a few more healthy recipes for you to check out:
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 184
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1/2 Vegetable
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 pound chicken Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat water in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and sausage. Cook for approximately 5-8 minutes until sausage is browned. Drain excess grease from pan and add mixture to slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, black pepper, oregano and chicken broth. There should be enough broth to cover the potatoes. If necessary, add water until potatoes are covered.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove lid from crock pot and add kale and milk, then stir to combine. Cover and continue to cook on high for 30 minutes.