Enjoy the holidays the healthy way with these Hummus and Pita Holiday Trees. Complete with a homemade edamame hummus and adorned with fresh red peppers, this festive snack is perfect to ensure you’re staying on track with your weight loss goals this holiday season.
This recipe takes just a few short minutes to make and it’s not only healthy, it’s delicious, too! These Hummus and Pita Holiday Trees are also a super fun recipe to make with the kids. To make the homemade edamame hummus, simply use a blender or food processor to thoroughly puree cooked edamame, cilantro, cumin and salt. While pulsing this mixture, slowly pour in warm water and continuing pureeing until smooth. Pro tip: If you like your hummus thicker, don’t overdo the water! Cut three whole wheat pitas into eight equal triangles, insert half of a pretzel stick as the trunk and spread with homemade hummus. Last is the fun part: Decorate each pita tree with roasted red peppers to form garland or dice the pepper to use as ornaments.
This recipe makes 24 trees, and two trees count as one serving. Clocking in at just 100 calories, each serving counts as one SmartCarb and one Extra on your Nutrisystem meal plan. To keep track of your daily intake, be sure to log each serving in the NuMi app. Not familiar with our easy-to-use food tracker app? Read all about how NuMi can increase your weight loss results here >
Don’t let the holidays derail your hard work and healthy meal plan. Add a few more of our favorite holiday recipes to your weekly menu:
- Christmas Tree Veggie Tray >
- Snowmen Fruit Kebabs >
- Strawberry Santa Hats >
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies >
- Coconut-Covered Gingerbread Bites >
Want to lose weight enjoying cookies, pasta, pizza and even cookies? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 12 (2 trees = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 100
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1½ cups shelled edamame
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼-½ cup warm water
- ½-1 tsp. sea salt, to taste
- 3 4” pieces whole wheat pita bread
- 24 pretzel sticks
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- Cook edamame according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor. Blend until somewhat smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the edamame, cilantro, cumin and salt to the blender. Process while slowly adding the warm water. Puree until smooth, adding additional water if a looser texture is desired. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Cut whole wheat pita into 8 triangles. Lightly toast pita bread if desired. Insert pretzel stick half into center of bottom of each wedge to form “tree trunk.”
- Spread each wedge with edamame hummus. Decorate with roasted red peppers to form garland.