It’s that time of year—sugar-filled desserts and temptations everywhere you turn. But just because you’re on a journey to weight loss success, doesn’t mean you have to avoid seasonal sweet treats at all costs. In fact, we’ve created plenty of dessert recipes right here on The Leaf that you can add to your menu, and our Coconut-Covered Gingerbread Bites are one of our favorites!
Filled with an array of diet-friendly ingredients and just as tasty as your favorite holiday sweet treat, these Gingerbread Bites are a must-try. To make this snowball snack, simply soak medjool dates in hot water for about 10 minute, drain and set aside. Add pecans to a food processor or blender and pulse until the pecans are a fine-meal consistency. Add in dates, cinnamon, sugar, cloves, salt molasses and vanilla extract and continue pulsing until a thick dough is formed. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and pop in the fridge to chill for another 10 minutes. Once chilled, scoop about a half tablespoon of dough and roll into a mini snowball, followed by rolling in shredded coconut. Bite into this sweet Gingerbread Bite immediately, or store in a container in the fridge to enjoy cold. Whenever you choose to “indulge” in this guilt-free dessert, one thing is certain—you’re going to want to make it over and over again!
This recipe yields 40 bites, so it’s perfect for a family treat. Each bite clocks in at just 65 calories and counts as two Extras on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Along with all of your daily food intake, log each Gingerbread Bite in the NuMi app to ensure you aren’t enjoying one too many! Haven’t downloaded our easy-to-use food tracker app yet? It can increase your weight loss results by keeping track of everything for you. Learn everything you need to know about the NuMi app here >
Whip up a few of our favorite seasonal desserts! Check out our top picks below:
Want to lose weight enjoying cookies, pasta, pizza and even cookies? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 40 (1 ball)
Calories per Serving: 65
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 Extras
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted (~12 dates)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Soak dates in hot water for approximately 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Add pecans to the food processor fitted with S blade. Pulse until pecans form a fine meal.
- Add dates, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, molasses and vanilla extract to food processor. Pulse until contents are mixed and begin to clump.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for ~10 minutes.
- Place shredded coconut in a small bowl.
- After chilling dough, use half tablespoon to scoop out mixture and form 40 small balls. Roll finished balls in coconut.
- Enjoy immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.