Satisfy two cravings in one sitting with this Italian chicken soup recipe. You get the delicious flavor of Italian seasonings and the seasonal delight of fall vegetables in one healthy, tasty soup that is sure to make your mouth water.
One look at the ingredients will make you wonder how such a soup could have possibly been conceived. Chicken breast and flavorful ingredients like parsley, oregano, garlic, tomato, red pepper flakes and gnocchi have you covered in the Italian department. Add in to the mix nutritious vegetables like butternut squash, carrots, turnips and kale in a chicken broth and you have yourself a deliciously unique fall soup to keep you warm and cozy this season.
In addition to the filling, lean protein you get in the chicken breast, the fall veggies in this Italian chicken soup also give you a plethora of vital nutrients.
Butternut squash is a sweet, nutrient-rich superfood that is packed with vitamins A and C and is also a good source of vitamin B, potassium, iron and magnesium. Furthermore, scientists are continuously studying it for its cancer-fighting chemicals. Click to find out more about the benefits of butternut squash >
You can also click on the link below to check out another delicious soup recipe with butternut squash that you can make right at home!
Turnips are another healthy fall veggie in this recipe. Turnips are fat free, cholesterol free and low in sodium and are considered a superfood for their richness in vitamins A and C. Click here to read all about the health perks of turnips >
When you enjoy this Italian chicken soup for your flex lunch, be sure to count it as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Vegetable and two Extras in your NuMi App log.
Calories per Serving: 276
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Vegetable, 2 Extras
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 cups kale, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste, no salt added
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups whole wheat gnocchi
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line baking sheet with foil.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet, spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle chicken with black pepper.
- Roast chicken for 45 minutes or until cooked. Allow to cool until they can be handled. Shred chicken and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots, butternut squash, turnip, Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and red pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bay leaves. Let boil then cover pot with lid and simmer on low for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until veggies are tender.
- Add chicken and gnocchi and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.