Bone-in Pork Chops with Mashed Sweet Potato and Roasted BroccoliRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses, Sides
A pork chop dinner may seem like an intimidating dish to prepare. However, here at The Leaf, we’re all about taking complex meals and turning them into easy, satisfying and healthy recipes that even a beginner chef can make. Our Bone-in Pork Chops recipe comes together with just three ingredients.
We’ve also given you two simple side dish recipes that pair perfectly with pork! Enjoy creamy, dreamy mashed sweet potatoes and tender roasted broccoli in a balanced meal that’s packed with nutrition and flavor.
A Sweet Side Dish: Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Since potatoes take the longest to cook, we start off this recipe by making the mashed sweet potatoes.
Boil the potatoes for about 15 to 25 minutes or until they become fork tender. Drain them, then mash them up with a fork and add some skim milk, light butter, a little brown sugar and black pepper.
Voila! You’ve got a healthy twist on classic mashed potatoes that can be paired with any PowerFuel, from chicken and steak to fish and tofu.
How to Make Bone-In Pork Chops
Next up, the star of the show: Lean, bone-in pork chops!
Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper. Then get ready for cooking!
Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Cook the pork chops for about five minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees.
Once they’re finished, removed from the heat, place them on a plate and create a tent around the pork chops with foil. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
Eat Your Veggies: Roasted Broccoli
While your pork chops are resting, work on your veggie side dish. We chose broccoli but you can swap in any non-starchy vegetable that you enjoy! You may just need to adjust the cooking time based on the veggie.
To make our classic roasted broccoli, preheat your oven to 400 degrees with an empty sheet pan in the oven. Chop up the broccoli into bite-size florets and season them with olive oil, fresh thyme and black pepper. Spread the mixture onto the preheated sheet pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness.
How to Log Your Flex Meal
Divide the mashed potatoes, pork and roasted broccoli into four separate servings. One serving of this healthy Flex meal contains 444 calories. It counts as two SmartCarbs, two PowerFuels, three Extras and one Vegetable.
If you’re watching your carbs, feel free to reduce the amount of mashed sweet potato that you serve yourself or simply enjoy some extra broccoli for another Vegetable serving. Click here to log your meal in the NuMi app! >
More Healthy Pork Recipes
Looking for more pork recipes? Check out the delicious ideas below:
- Herb Crusted Pork Chops >
- 4-Ingredient Spicy Pineapple Teriyaki Pork >
- Savory Pork Egg Roll Bowl >
- Pulled Pork Tenderloin Sandwich with Vinegar Slaw >
- One Dish Herb Pork Tenderloin >
- Pork Chops with Fruit Chutney >
Nutrisystem makes dinnertime easy! We send perfectly portioned versions of your favorite meals right to your door. Lose weight and get healthy with our simple meal plan and food delivery service! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 444
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 SmartCarbs, 2 PowerFuels, 3 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. light butter
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ lbs. bone-in pork chop, lean
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 stalks broccoli
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tsp. fresh thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Boil potatoes in a pot of water for about 15-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash with a fork.
- Add milk, butter, sugar and season with pepper.
- Pork Chops
- Pat pork chops dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, add oil.
- Add pork chops and cook 5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 140°F.
- Remove from heat, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roasted Broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400°F with an empty pan in the oven.
- Chop broccoli into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl and season with oil, pepper and thyme.
- Pour broccoli into preheated pan and roast for 12-15 minutes or until desired crispness.