This Savory Turkey Chili isn’t just healthy… it’s hearty, too! Which means that you’ll stay satisfied without wreaking havoc on your weight loss plan.
Take a long whiff while it’s cooking: The aroma of this simmering pot of peppers, onions, kidney and pinto beans, spinach and celery, (of course) lean turkey and a whole lot of spices is sure to get your belly grumbling. Good thing it’s as hearty as it is healthy! For a twist on this warm-your-bones recipe, try the Butternut Squash Turkey Chili.
Servings: 1 (Makes about two cups)
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels and 2 Vegetables
- 3 oz. ground, lean turkey breast (raw)
- ¼ cup diced green bell peppers
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup pinto beans
- ¼ cup kidney beans
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. scallions or green onions
- Zero-calorie cooking spray, as needed
- Heat medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add turkey breast, bell peppers, onions and celery and cook until turkey meat is browned and vegetables are soft (approx. 6 – 8 minutes).
- Add chopped spinach, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper to saucepan.
- Rinse pinto and kidney beans under water to remove excess sodium. Add beans to saucepan. Let chili simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chili into bowl and top with low-fat cheese and scallions.