Need a healthy dinner that is also delicious? Wait until you “sea” this one! Try our recipe for a high-protein and low-fat tuna steak glazed in a spicy teriyaki sauce.
Low-sodium teriyaki and high-protein tuna are the perfect pair in this simple entrée. Ahi or yellowfin tuna is the ideal choice as it is typically less expensive than other varieties, but still tasty with a mild flavor. Create your glaze by mixing together teriyaki sauce, honey, olive oil and spices (we recommend ginger, garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes!). Simply place your tuna steaks on a lined baking sheet and pour your glaze over them, saving about two tablespoons for later. Bake eight to ten minutes at 400°F until tuna is medium rare. Cut them into two-ounce portions and top with the remaining glaze.
Tuna is high in protein yet low in fat, making it an amazing choice for those trying to lose weight. One Spicy Teriyaki Tuna Steak is only 120 calories, counting as one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem program. Feel free to serve it with some non-starchy veggies to get in your four required vegetable servings! You could also pair it with a half cup of potatoes or brown rice, but make sure to add one SmartCarb to the meal for these specific sides.
Effortlessly track your meals and veggies with our NuMi app! NuMi is designed to be compatible with your Nutrisystem program and is an amazing tool to help you with your weight loss journey. Get started with your FREE NuMi account here >
Looking for a veggie side to pair with this protein powerhouse? Check out these delicious recipes!:
- Crispy Brussels Sprout Chips >
- Cucumber Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing >
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes >
- Mushrooms & Green Beans with Honey Balsamic Drizzle >
- Simple Roasted Broccoli >
Do you want high-protein dinners without having to cook? Check out our Nutrisystem programs here >
Servings: 8 (1 steak = 1 serving)
Calories per Serving: 120
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 1 lb. ahi or yellowfin tuna steak
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tuna on a greased aluminum-lined baking sheet.
- Mix together garlic, ginger, teriyaki sauce, olive oil, honey, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour mixture over the tuna, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until tuna is medium-rare.
- Cut tuna into 2 oz. steaks and top with remaining sauce.