Yellow Summer Squash Frittata RecipeRecipe posted in: Breakfasts, Flex Meals & Snacks, Main Courses
Bake a beautiful breakfast that’s filled with the summer harvest! Fall is just around the corner and we’re trying to soak up as much summer sun as we can before it arrives. We’re sad to say farewell to all of the warm weather produce, so we stock up on fresh picked tomatoes and garden-ready summer squash to get our fix before it’s gone! The result? This healthy Yellow Summer Squash Frittata recipe that’s baked with farm fresh eggs, flavorful shallots, low-fat cheddar cheese and crispy breadcrumbs on top.
Frittatas are the perfect vessel for filling up with all of your favorite non-starchy vegetables, spices and fresh herbs. You can easily create a customized morning meal that you love! They are also perfect for weekly meal prep. Whip one up on Sunday, then enjoy slices all week as a quick meal before heading out the door.
This Yellow Summer Squash Frittata recipe make six perfectly portioned servings. One serving clocks in just over 100 calories (108 to be exact!). If you’re losing weight and getting healthy with a Nutrisystem plan, you can log it into your NuMi app food journal as one PowerFuel and half of a Vegetable serving.
Healthy Hacks: Add a SmartCarb to this summer squash frittata with a half-cup of baked sweet potatoes or one cup of fresh fruit on the side. You can also feel free to add another PowerFuel, such as low-sodium turkey bacon or sausage. Want to make it count as a full vegetable serving? Toss in some of your other non-starchy faves! Onions, mushrooms and bell peppers would also be super tasty additions.
Looking for more filling frittata recipes? Try these healthy breakfast ideas:
- Air Fryer Frittata >
- Simple Smoked Salmon and Spinach Frittata >
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Frittata Recipe >
- 5-Ingredient Veggie Frittata Recipe>
Lose weight and get healthy with delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners delivered directly to your door! Nutrisystem is here for you with convenient, perfectly portioned meals and a simple weight loss plan. Get started today! >
Calories per Serving: 108
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and ½ Vegetable
- 1 yellow squash, sliced thin
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 2 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. dried parsley
- Place squash slices in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with salt and lightly toss. Set aside to drain for 30-40 minutes. Dry excess water off with a towel.
- In the meantime, heat a small pan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add chopped shallots and cook until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer the squash slices and tomato halves in the pie pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, shallots, cheese, black pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Pour the egg mixture over the squash and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs, cheese and dried parsley on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until eggs are set.