Classic Cinnamon Roll RecipeRecipe posted in: Breakfasts, Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Main Courses, Desserts
Make Sunday morning sweeter with homemade classic cinnamon rolls! This breakfast baked good is a classic addition to any delicious brunch menu. However, the famous pastry rarely fit into a healthy weight loss plan. We love creating diet-friendly versions of your favorite foods, so we had our recipe developers whip up a lightened up cinnamon roll recipe that’s filled with fiber and flavorful ingredients!
Featuring whole wheat pastry flour, coconut sugar and unsweetened applesauce, our cinnamon rolls provide the classic flavors you know and love. They’re baked to perfection until golden brown and drizzled with a homemade cream cheese glaze. Talk about indulgent! While biting into one of these warm rolls of goodness may taste like you’re cheating on your diet, you can rest assured that it fits into your Nutrisystem plan.
One of these cinnamon rolls contains 203 calories. It counts as one SmartCarb and three Extras on the Nutrisystem program. They pair perfectly with a glass of skim milk and some chopped walnuts, which would add two PowerFuels and make this a complete Flex meal. Click here to log your Cinnamon Roll breakfast in the NuMi app! >
Satisfy your sweet tooth at the start of your day! We have plenty of other smart and satisfying sweet treats that are great for breakfast or brunch. Get some healthy breakfast recipe inspiration below:
- Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls >
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins >
- Chocolate Walnut Chickpea Muffins >
- Almond Banana Bread >
- Matcha Blueberry Muffins >
- Air Fryer Apple Fritter >
- Mini Pancake Bites >
Nutrisystem makes weight loss simple! We offer perfectly portioned versions of your favorite meals and snacks. Plus, we deliver them right to your home! From easy breakfasts to hearty dinners to delicious snacks in between, we’re your go-to meal delivery service. We even make your favorite breakfast baked goods! (Hello, Cinnamon Rolls and Double Chocolate Muffins.)
Servings: 12 (1 serving = 1 cinnamon roll)
Calories per Serving: 203
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 3 Extras
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup light butter
- 1 ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 oz. cream cheese, low fat
- 2 tsp. light butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. nonfat milk (may need more to thin out)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix together the two flours and the yeast.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted, remove from the heat. Add in the milk and sugar. You want the milk to be about 105-110°F or slightly above room temperature. Turn off heat.
- Add in egg to liquid mixture and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use a stand mixer with a dough hook until no longer sticky or knead by hand for about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 2 hours.
- Turn risen dough on to a floured surface. Roll dough evenly into a rectangle shape, about ¼-inch thick.
- Spread applesauce over dough and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Roll dough from the long side until you have a long roll. Cut the roll into about 12 slices and place each slice on a greased baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish and let the rolls rise for about 20 minutes. During this time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- After letting the cinnamon rolls rise, place them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the glaze by combining butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and cream cheese in a food processor or blender. Add milk until desired thickness.
- Spread glaze over cinnamon rolls.