Chocolate, cherries, whipped cream … it sounds like a dream! These moist black forest cupcakes are the real thing: rich chocolate cake stuffed with tart cherries and topped with a sweet, whipped cream icing. Make them with or without sugar; either way, they are absolutely delicious!
Home baking is having a comeback and we’re cooking up a black forest cupcake recipe from scratch. The base of our cupcake batter is a whole wheat pastry flour combined with unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, vanilla extract and unsweetened applesauce. You can choose between regular white sugar or monk fruit sweetener.
After baking 12 perfectly portioned cupcakes, we cut a hole in the center of each and fill them up with fresh muddled cherries. Adorned with a light whipped topping and a cherry on top, these cupcakes are what diet dreams are made of!
The calories in one these black forest cherry cupcakes will vary depending on the sweetener that you use. If you’re using sugar, one cupcake is 137 calories. However, if you’re using monk fruit sweetener, one cupcake clocks in at just 89 calories.
Losing weight on the Nutrisystem plan? You can count one cupcake made with sugar as one SmartCarb and two Extras. The cupcake made with monk fruit sweetener can be logged as just one SmartCarb in your NuMi app journal.
If you loved this black forest cake-inspired recipe, be sure to try out our Black Forest Chocolate Cherry Milkshake. Click here for the recipe! >
Hungry for more sweet and satisfying treats? Check out these other healthy dessert recipes!:
- Best Easy Key Lime Pie >
- Sweet Summer Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding >
- Easy Fresh Fruit Tart >
- Strawberry Lemon Icebox Cake >
- Chocolate Chip High Protein Pancake Mix Cookies >
- Healthy Apple Pie >
Get healthy and lose weight with perfectly portioned meals delivered to your door! Get started with Nutrisystem today >
Servings: 12 (1 serving = 1 cupcake)
Calories per Serving: 137 calories if using sugar / 89 calories if using monk fruit sweetener
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 2 Extras if using sugar/ 1 SmartCarb if using monk fruit sweetener
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup white sugar OR ¾ cup monk fruit sweetener
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cherries, pitted (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 cup light whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix in applesauce and water.
- Divide batter equally among 12 lined muffin cups (~¼ cup of batter per cup). Bake for 15 minutes or until center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before transferring to wired rack to cool completely.
- Cut a teaspoon-sized hole in the center of each cupcake and fill with muddled cherries.
- Pipe whipped topping over the cupcakes and top with a cherry. Store in refrigerator.