Healthy Apple Pie Recipe (No Added Sugar!)Recipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks
You don’t need sugar to make a delicious dessert. Don’t believe us? Try a slice of this healthy apple pie recipe and you’ll quickly become a believer! The natural sweetness of apples shines when paired with cinnamon, lemon juice and a flaky, buttery crust. One sweet slice of this lightened-up classic clocks in at just 147 calories and five grams of fat. The best part? You only need eight simple ingredients (including water) to make this easy apple pie.
A few simple substitutions helped us to make this apple dessert diet-friendly. We used a whole wheat pastry flour to add some extra fiber to the crust. The usage of light butter also helped to decrease the fat and calories in each delicious slice. Sugar is replaced with the sweetness of real, fresh apples that are peeled and sliced before being combined with spicy cinnamon and zesty lemon juice.
One serving of this Healthy Apple Pie Recipe counts as one SmartCarb and two Extras on the Nutrisystem program. Feel free to top your slice with a dollop of fat free Cool Whip if you have any Extras leftover for the day. Keeping track of your daily Extras will help you reach your weight loss goals. NuMi makes it simple and easy with your own personal food journal and daily reminders. Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app. >
Sure, apples are delicious all on their own. However, it’d be a crime to ignore their amazing versatility. Check out these other healthy recipes featuring this sweet fruit.
- If you have an Instant Pot, you HAVE to try this easy Instant Pot Apple Cake >
- Use your microwave to prepare a quick dessert like this Cinnamon Apple Parfait >
- Enjoy a sweet and savory supper with our Turkey, Apple and Swiss Waffle Sandwich >
- A famous fall favorite is made healthy. Try these Chocolate Caramel Apples >
- Cranberry sauce and applesauce unite! Use a slow cooker for this Cranberry Applesauce >
- No time for baking? Whip up this quick and easy Apple Pie Yogurt Parfait >
- Your favorite countertop appliance makes the perfect crunchy snack. Try Air Fryer Apple Chips >
- Cinnamon spice and everything nice! You’ll love Cinnamon Spice Baked Apples >
- Turn an ordinary apple into a homemade dessert. Try our recipe for an Air Fryer Baked Apple >
- Use your Nutrisystem Granola Cereal to make an Easy Apple Crisp >
Of course, if you don’t feel like cooking, Nutrisystem can provide the sweet taste of apples that you’re craving. Stock up on our pantry friendly Apple Strudel Bar and Apple Cinnamon Granola for delicious, apple-filled breakfasts all week long. Then click the link below to learn more about the health benefits of your favorite fruit!:
Looking for a healthy meal delivery service? We’re here for you! Learn more about Nutrisystem meal plans >
Calories per Serving: 147
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 2 Extras
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 10 Tbsp. light butter (place in freezer for at least 30 minutes)
- 10 Tbsp. water (may vary)
- 5 cups apples (~4-5 apples), peeled and sliced in ¼-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Combine frozen butter and flour by hand or in a food processor.
- Add in about 5 tablespoons of water and mix well. Continue adding water as needed until a dough is formed.
- Cut the dough in half and wrap each one in plastic. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Toss sliced apples with corn starch, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll out one of the pie doughs into a 12" circle. Place dough in a greased pie pan.
- Pour apple pie filling into the pie pan.
- Roll out the second portion of the pie dough into another 12" circle. Cut dough into long, ½-inch wide pieces.
- Place the strips of dough on top of the pie, creating a lattice design.
- Pinch edges of the dough to form a crust around the outside of the pie.
- Whisk together an egg with one teaspoon of water to create an egg wash.
- Brush the egg was on top of the pie and place it onto a baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Cover the pie and decrease the oven temperature to 375°F. Continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie cover and broil for two minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few hours before serving.