Who doesn’t love a hearty, healthy casserole—a combination of filling ingredients cooked together in a casserole dish to create a delicious meal. This Autumn Chicken and Farro recipe is filled with an array of seasonal flavors that will fill you up the Nutrisystem-approved way and will leave you feeling satisfied without derailing your diet plan.
If you’re looking to liven up your weekly menu, then look no further. This Chicken and Farro Casserole is a diet win packed with protein, veggies and a whole lot of flavor. Simply sauté chicken in a non-stick skillet with olive oil until fully cooked. Remove the chicken and replace with onion, squash, Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper, and sauté with chicken broth until veggies begin to soften. Stir cooked farro into the sautéed veggie mixture, followed by the cooked chicken and dried cherries. Transfer ingredients to casserole dish, top with pecans and bake for just 20 minutes!
Making eight servings, this casserole is a delicious and healthy menu option the whole family will love. It also is a perfect meal-prep dinner. Simply cover the leftovers and heat up for an on-the-go night! Each serving clocks in at 244 calories and counts as two PowerFuels, one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and one Extra on your Nutrisystem meal plan. While this hearty and healthy recipe is diet-approved, it’s still important to log each serving in the NuMi app to ensure you’re staying on track with your weight loss goals. Log this and all your daily food intake right here in NuMi >
Liven up your Flex™ meal menu with a few more of our favorite recipes. Check out some easy-to-make dinner options below: Want to lose weight enjoying
- Savory Turkey Chili >
- Cheesy Chicken Stuffed with Rice and Veggies >
- Healthy Corn Pudding Casserole >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 244
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (1” cubes)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups quartered brussels sprouts
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cherries
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain off any excess cooking liquid and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large, deep non-stick skillet, heat ½ tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through and no longer pink on the inside, about 6 minutes. Transfer fully-cooked chicken to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Using a paper towel, wipe the skillet clean. Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, squash, brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth, thyme, and sage, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked farro, chicken and dried cherries. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, top with pecans and bake in oven for 20 minutes.