You can easily resist unhealthy appetizers when you’ve got a good replacement. Of course, that good replacement must be crispy, delicious AND fit into your weight loss plan. This may sound like an impossible feat. However, if you’ve invested in an air fryer, you’re already halfway there! Replicate your favorite fast food starter with this innovative countertop appliance. Onion rings are made diet-friendly with this easy air fryer recipe that’s ready in less than 20 minutes!
Featuring a flavorful coating made from whole wheat flour, whole grain panko bread crumbs and some spices, these Air Fryer Onion Rings are just as crunchy and delicious as the appetizer from your favorite restaurant. We spice them up with paprika and oregano but you can easily make the recipe your own with your favorite herbs and spices. Craving a spicy kick? Throw in a little chili powder. Want more oniony flavor? Sprinkle in a little onion powder. Spices and herbs are considered Free Foods on the Nutrisystem program, so you can season until your taste buds are content.
You can’t enjoy onion rings without a tasty dip! They are the perfect healthy finger food that pairs well with any sauce, dressing or dip that you enjoy. You can always dunk into classic ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce or another condiment. However, if you’re looking for a little something extra, homemade dip recipes are where it’s at! Need some dip-spiration? Grab a bowl and whip up one of the recipes below:
- Spicy Greek Yogurt Dip >
- Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce >
- 4-Ingredient Everything Bagel Dip >
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Dip >
- 2-Step Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Dressing >
- 5-Star Cucumber Dill Dip >
- Vegan Cheese Sauce >
- Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing >
One serving of these Air Fryer Onion Rings clocks in at only 150 calories! They count as just one SmartCarb and half of a Vegetable serving on the Nutrisystem program. Make sure to log them in the NuMi app to stay on track with your weight loss plan. Keeping a food journal can help you keep your meal plan organized and may even help you lose weight. Click here to learn more about our FREE NuMi app! >
The air fryer makes everything better! If you love air fryer recipes just as much as we do, then you’ve come to the right blog. We’ve filled our recipe section with tons of healthy air fryer recipes for your weight loss menu! From appetizers and dinners to snacks and desserts, you’re sure to find a new favorite. Check out 10 of our most popular air fryer recipes below!:
- Air Fried Mozzarella Sticks >
- Air Fried Pickles >
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce >
- Air Fryer Meatloaf >
- Air Fryer Honey Garlic Drumsticks >
- Air Fryer Apple Chips >
- Air Fryer Mini Baked Potatoes >
- Air Fryer Chocolate Donut Holes >
- Air Fryer Stuffed Peaches >
Reach your weight loss goals with a convenient meal delivery service! Nutrisystem sends perfectly portioned meals and snacks directly to your door. Learn more about our programs here! >
*Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.
Calories per Serving: 150
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and ½ Vegetable
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into ½-inch rings
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole grain panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Create an assembly line with three bowls. Fill the first bowl with a mixture of flour, paprika and oregano. Fill the second bowl with the egg and water beaten together. Fill the third bowl with panko bread crumbs.
- Coat the onion rings in flour, then dip them into the egg mixture. Lastly, coat with panko bread crumbs. You may need to press the panko on with your fingers.
- Spray the bottom of an air fryer basket with nonstick spray. Place the onion rings in a single layer in the bottom of the basket. Spray the onion rings with nonstick spray. You will be cooking them in batches.
- Cook at 375°F for 6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes.
- *Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.