Healthy Angel Food Cake Recipe With Blueberry SauceRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Desserts
Light, airy and slightly sweet, angel food cake is a perfect dessert for spring and summer. It’s simple presentation and mild taste makes it an amazing base for piling on fresh seasonal fruit and creamy whipped topping. A must-have for picnics, cookouts and summer holidays, angel food cake is extremely versatile and a favorite for many. We’re making this classic cake into a healthier, diet-friendly dessert with a few easy swaps and a super tasty topping.
The first step to making a healthy angel food cake recipe is swapping out ordinary white flour with whole wheat version. If you want to cut down on your sugar intake, you can also substitute regular sugar with a zero-calorie alternative like monk fruit sweetener. We’ve given you the option in this easy recipe, but if you haven’t tried monk fruit yet we recommend giving it a try! It’s one of our favorite sugar swaps and is a more natural option than other sweeteners. It also helps to cut down on the calories and allows you to enjoy a larger slice of cake.
Instead of sugar-filled syrup, icing and sprinkles, we’ve crafted the perfect 3-ingredient blueberry sauce to serve with this simple dessert. It truly takes a basic angel food cake to the next level and provides a fresh, fruity flavor that we all crave during the summer season. You can also have fun and experiment with different cake toppings ideas. Check out some of our favorite healthy additions below:
- Top your slice of angel food cake with some chopped nuts for extra crunch and protein. Two tablespoons of almonds, cashews or peanuts counts as one PowerFuel on Nutrisystem.
- Warm up some peanut butter or almond butter and drizzle it over your cake. One tablespoon of nut butter counts as one PowerFuel on Nutrisystem.
- Prepare your blueberry sauce with another berry of your choice. A simple strawberry or raspberry sauce would be just as delicious!
- Swap out the blueberry sauce with a serving of fresh fruit. Pineapple, peaches, blackberries or kiwifruit would be delicious. One cup of fresh fruit counts as one SmartCarb on Nutrisystem.
- Take your presentation to the next level with a dollop of low-fat whipped topping. Just make sure to log this as a daily Extra in your NuMi app journal.
- Other tasty limited Extras that can be used as toppings include unsweetened coconut flakes, seeds, chocolate syrup, sugar-free jelly or honey.
Looking for more summer-inspired cake recipes? Cook up some of these tasty ideas:
- 5-Ingredient Patriotic Cheesecake >
- Strawberry Lemon Icebox Cake >
- Mini No-Bake Lemon Coconut Cheesecake Bites >
- Instant Pot Key Lime Cheesecake >
- 5-Ingredient Watermelon “Cake” >
- Smore’s Icebox Cake >
Want to lose weight enjoying cake, ice cream and even cookies? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 16 servings if using sugar / 10 servings if using monk fruit sweetener
Calories per Serving: 103 calories if using sugar / 88 calories if using monk fruit sweetener
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar OR 1 cup monk fruit sweetener (regular or powder)
- 1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 12 egg whites, set to room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Angel Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Very lightly grease the bottom of a tube pan with coconut oil. Pan should have a removable bottom.
- If using non-powdered sugar or monk fruit, process it in a food processor until super fine and powdery.
- Sift together flour and 2/3 cup of sweetener.
- In a separate large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on high until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture ½ cup at a time.
- Gently pour batter into the tube pan and bake until lightly browned, about 35-40 minutes.
- Invert pan and cool for 1 hour.
- Run a knife around the sides and center of tube pan. Remove cake.
- Blueberry Sauce
- Place blueberries, corn starch, lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan. Heat over medium until blueberries release their juices.
- Turn off heat and let the sauce sit to thicken.