If you’re looking to prepare a unique dinner with a fancy twist, this dish is for you. Our Honey Roasted Duck recipe is sure to impress your holiday guests.
Duck is an underrated protein that doesn’t get enough attention for it’s delicious, tender and juicy meat. We covered our duck in a honey and orange glaze and seasoned it with fresh thyme, garlic, paprika and black pepper. It’s a versatile flavor profile that pairs well with any side dishes you decide to serve along with it. The stunning presentation is worthy for a fancy occasion and will add fresh, beautiful color to your dinner table.
One serving of this Honey Roasted Duck contains 106 calories and counts as one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem program. Make it a full Flex meal by adding a SmartCarb to your plate, such as quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes or wild rice. Feel free to also throw in a veggie serving like sautéed green beans, steamed Brussels sprouts or roasted beets.
Whatever you decide to serve with your duck, make sure to log your Flex meal in the NuMi app! It’s the perfect tool to help you keep track of your food intake throughout the holiday season. Click here to log this recipe in NuMi >
Need a vegetable side that shines next to this fancy dish? Check out these delicious ideas below:
- Grilled Asparagus Caesar Salad >
- Roasted Green Beans & Mushrooms with Honey Balsamic Drizzle >
- Zucchini Noodles with Roasted Vegetables and Pesto >
- Simple Sautéed Spinach >
- Roasted Rosemary Beets and Carrots >
- Honey Balsamic Glazed Carrots >
- Chinese Cabbage with Spicy Garlic Ginger Sauce >
If you’re looking for more honey roasted goodness, check out Nutrisystem’s Sweet and Salty Snack Mix! Honey roasted almonds, peanuts and pretzel balls come together to create a healthy snack that’s perfect for your busy days. Click here to stock up >
Enjoy losing weight and getting healthy with delicious meals from Nutrisystem! Learn more about our programs >
Servings: Depends on size of duck (1 serving = 2 oz.)
Calories per Serving: 106
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 5 lb. duck, neck, liver and giblets removed
- 2 oranges
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Let the duck sit out on the counter for at least 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 425°F and thoroughly coat a roasting pan and rack with nonstick spray.
- Trim away any flaps of excess skin from the duck's cavity and tail area. Pat duck dry with paper towels inside and out.
- Season duck cavity with two orange halves, garlic cloves and 4 thyme sprigs.
- Tie legs together with butcher’s twine and place the duck (breast side up) on roasting the rack.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, slice the skin of the duck in diagonals in both directions. Be careful not to pierce all the way through the meat.
- Season duck with paprika, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Place duck in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Decrease the oven temperature to 350°F and cook for an additional 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, juice the remaining orange. Combine juice with honey and remaining thyme leaves.
- At the 60 minute mark, brush half of the orange-honey mixture onto the duck. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 165°F at the thickest part or juices running just barely pink.
- Remove duck from the oven and tilt to drain any fat and juice that has accumulated.
- Brush the duck with the remaining orange-honey mixture. Tent loosely with foil and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.