Marinated mushrooms are transformed into a vegan jerky that’s packed with nutrition! Filled with flavor, fiber and fresh ingredients, this Plant-Based Portobello Mushroom Jerky recipe is a delicious and satisfying way to get in a vegetable serving.
Whether you’re a vegetarian looking for a hearty yet healthy snack or a meat lover who is just looking to get in some more veggies, this easy vegetarian mushroom jerky is a creative choice. Fresh, sliced portobello mushrooms are marinated in a sweet, savory and smoky blend of apple cider vinegar, honey, sesame oil, low sodium soy sauce, smoked paprika and garlic powder. After placing them on a parchment lined sheet pan, baking for two to three hours at 250 degrees and allowing the mushrooms to cool, you’ve got a chewy vegan jerky that’s the perfect grab and go snack.
Pro Tip: Want your mushroom jerky extra smoky? Add a dash of liquid smoke for some more low-calorie flavor! You can even add more of your favorite spices and herbs, such as rosemary, onion powder, thyme or curry powder.
One serving of this Plant-Based Portobello Mushroom Jerky clocks in at just 72 calories. If you’re on the Nutrisystem weight loss plan, you can log it as one Vegetable and two Extras in your NuMi app journal.
Pile on the veggies with more plant-based meals! Check out some of our other healthy vegetarian recipes below:
- Grilled Cabbage Steaks >
- Turnip Veggie Patty >
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup >
- Zoodle Mac and Cheese with Roasted Veggies >
- Baked Vegetarian Chickpea Meatballs >
- Vegetarian Meatballs With Zucchini Noodles >
- One-Pan Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa >
- Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Bowl >
- Edamame Hummus >
Looking for a vegetarian meal delivery service to get healthy and lose weight? Nutrisystem has a plan for you! Check out some of our delicious plant-based meals below:
Calories per Serving: 72
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cut into ¼” slices
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, paprika and garlic powder. Transfer into a large container or plastic bag.
- Add the mushroom slices to the bag and seal or cover with a lid. Marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Place mushroom slices on sheet. Mushrooms should not be touching.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, flipping halfway, until dried out. They should have a slightly chewy texture.
- Allow to cool.