Mornings are so much easier when we can wake up to a fresh and delicious breakfast or brunch recipe. That’s exactly why we absolutely love whipping up homemade omelets on the weekend—even weekdays if we have time! So today we’re highlighting one of our all-time favorite omelets, the Pesto Tomato Veggie Omelet. With fresh ripened tomatoes, this mix of tomato and pesto is exactly what you need for a healthy omelet and the perfect Mediterranean breakfast.
Just like your average omelet, the base of this Pesto Tomato Veggie Omelet is formed by eggs. And while we add tons of fun and new flavors to this omelet, there’s a key difference in the egg base which makes it even healthier than your average omelet. Instead of using the entire egg, we only use the egg whites. It’s a simple change that can make a difference, so we recommend giving it a try! Don’t want to stick to egg whites? This breakfast recipe is just as delicious with the whole egg.
Along with the egg whites, you’ll need cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and pesto. Place a small pan on the stove and coat with a nonstick spray then heat to medium-high. Add in the grape tomatoes and let them roast for about four to five minutes—flipping every few minutes to ensure the roast evenly. Once they’re finished, set them aside and wipe the pan clean. Coat the pan again with the nonstick spray and pour the egg white into the pan. After a couple minutes, place a cover on the pan and let the eggs cooks until the top is no longer runny.
Want to add some variety to your weekly menu? Check out these other fun and healthy breakfast recipe ideas:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Omelet >
- Easy Loaded Omelet Muffins >
- French Toast Cups >
- Savory Herb Muffins >
- Chocolate Peanut Butter French Toast >
When you’re satisfied with how your eggs are cooked, spread the pesto on one half of the egg. Place the grape tomatoes and sundried tomatoes on the pesto and fold the omelet over on itself. We know your mouth is watering by now so thankfully it’s time to eat! But once you’re done, don’t forget to log your Pesto Tomato Omelet into NuMi!
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious meals and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 141
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 2 Extras and ½ Vegetable
- ½ cup or 3-4 egg whites
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. sundried tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. pesto
- Nonstick spray
- In a small pan, spray with nonstick spray and heat to medium-high.
- Add in grape tomatoes and let roasted for 4-5 minutes, flipping every few minutes. Remove tomatoes and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and respray with nonstick spray. Pour egg whites in the preheated pan. Let the edges and bottom cook some. Place a cover and cook until the top is no longer runny, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread pesto on one half of egg. Top with grape tomatoes and sundried tomatoes.
- Loosen edges of side with no toppings and carefully fold over to cover the toppings.
- Serve immediately.