For all of the tofu-lovers out there, this recipe is for you! It’s a delicious Vegan Tofu Jerky recipe that is the perfect snack to fill you up—without filling you out. Jerky isn’t just for meat-lovers after all. With delicious bursts of flavor thanks to a tasty blend of garlic, paprika, chili powder and soy sauce, this recipe will have your taste buds (and stomach) fully satisfied.
Tofu is used for the “jerky” part of this recipe and is marinated in the tasty combination of flavorful ingredients. A dehydrator is used to create the jerky-like texture by “drying out” the tofu. Haven’t used a dehydrator yet? Dehydrators are easy-to-use kitchen appliances that remove moisture from certain food items to allow you to create an array of unique snacks, such as jerky, fruit leather and fruit chips.
What makes this recipe even better? It creates four full servings—so it’s the perfect snack to whip up over the weekend so you can look forward to protein-filled munchies all week long. Each serving clocks in at a mere 52 calories and counts as one PowerFuel on your Nutrisystem meal plan. While this delicious snack does fit perfectly into your healthy lifestyle, it’s still important to log your daily intake in your NuMi app. Logging your daily intake ensures you are staying on track with your Nutrisystem meal plan and can help expedite your weight loss results. Want to learn more about using our handy, dandy weight loss app? Check out NuMi 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Our Free Tracking App >
Ready to use your dehydrator to create a few more delicious snacks? Be sure to try this sweet and savory recipe for Tropical Chili Fruit Leather > or this simple recipe for Sweet and Spicy Turkey Jerky >
On Nutrisystem, Count As:
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Drain liquid from tofu, wrap in a clean dish towel or several paper towels. Place the wrapped tofu on a dinner plate or cutting board and top with a second dinner plate weighed down with something heavy (e.g. a cookbook or dictionary). Press for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients (except tofu) in a bowl or Tupperware.
- Using a sharp knife, slice tofu into 1/8-1/4 inch slices. Place tofu slices in marinade, allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, flipping halfway through.
- Remove tofu slices from marinade and pat lightly with paper towels. Place tofu on the dehydrator racks in a single layer.
- Dehydrate at 160 degrees F for 6-8 hours. Dehydrating time varies depending on the thickness of the slices. Begin checking after 4-8 hours. The jerky is done when it is firm, dry and tears easily. If it is brittle or tough, it’s overdone.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.