If you’ve ever made a grilled cheese, you know that they’re pretty hard to mess up. Just toss a slice of cheese on some bread and throw it in the oven. Voila, sandwich success! But why settle for a mediocre meal of cheese and bread when you can pump up the flavor factor and the nutrition by adding some vibrant veggies and changing out your cheese?
In this healthy grilled cheese recipe, we’ve added tomato and spinach for extra flavor and fiber. We’ve also swapped out the usual American cheese for low-fat cheddar. The difference? Delicious!
Want to pump up the protein in this easy, cheesy sandwich? Feel free to add another PowerFuel to the original recipe by adding a little extra cheese or even some shredded cooked chicken. Click here to log your sandwich in the NuMi app! >
No matter how you enjoy this guilt-free grilled cheese, we think it should be paired with this delicious Zesty Tomato Soup. After all, what’s a grilled cheese without soup?!
Looking for more healthy sandwich recipes for your weight loss plan? Try out these delicious ideas:
- Lettuce Bun Deli Sandwich >
- Skinny Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich >
- Egg Salad Pepper Sandwich >
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich >
- Blackened Fish Sandwich >
- Chicken Sausage and Peppers Sandwich >
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich >
Lose weight and get healthy with delicious food delivered directly to your door! Learn more about Nutrisystem meal plans >
Calories per Serving: 157.5
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 1 tomato slice
- Handful of spinach
- 1 slice low-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ Tbsp. light butter substitute (Benecol, Smart Balance, margarine)
- Cut the slice of bread and cheese in half.
- Spread butter on one side of each half slice of bread.
- Spray pan and place on medium high heat.
- Add one-half slice of bread (butter side down) followed by one-½ slice of cheese, then spinach, tomato, ½ slice of cheese, and lastly second ½ slice of bread (butter side up).
- Cook sandwich until nicely browned and flip to brown the other side.