If you’ve ever made a grilled cheese, you know that they’re pretty hard to mess up. Just toss some cheese on some bread and throw it in the oven. Voila, sandwich success! But why settle for a mediocre meal of cheese and bread when you can pump up the flavor factor and the nutrition by adding some vibrant veggies and changing out your cheese?
In this healthy grilled cheese recipe, we’ve added tomato and spinach, and swapped the usual American cheese for low-fat cheddar. The difference? Delicious!
Women can enjoy this meal as a flex lunch. Men can double the recipe (to make a whole sandwich as opposed to a half) for a flex lunch. Men or women who want to enjoy this delicious grilled cheese at dinner can simply add another PowerFuel to the original recipe (add a little extra cheese or even some shredded cooked chicken).
No matter how you enjoy this guilt-free grilled cheese, we think it should be paired with this delicious Zesty Tomato Soup. After all, what’s a grilled cheese without soup?!
Calories per Serving: 157.5
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 1 tomato slice
- Handful of spinach
- 1 slice low-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ Tbsp. light butter substitute (Benecol, Smart Balance, margarine)
- Cut the slice of bread and cheese in half.
- Spread butter on one side of each half slice of bread.
- Spray pan and place on medium high heat.
- Add one-half slice of bread (butter side down) followed by one-½ slice of cheese, then spinach, tomato, ½ slice of cheese, and lastly second ½ slice of bread (butter side up).
- Cook sandwich until nicely browned and flip to brown the other side.