Chocolate Protein Cake PopsRecipe posted in: Nutrisystem Food Hacks, Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Snacks & Desserts, Snacks, Desserts
Stick to your healthy diet while enjoying chocolate cake on a stick! These cute and creative gourmet Chocolate Protein Cake Pops might look like they are defying gravity. However, you’ll be shocked how easy it is to make them right in your own kitchen. Featuring whole wheat flour, unsweetened cocoa, Greek yogurt and protein powder, these little bites are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings while you lose the weight.
Just like most cake pop recipes, this healthy recipe consists of three main components: the cake, the frosting and the chocolate shell. The first step is making the cake batter. You will need a quarter of a cup of whole wheat flour, two scoops of Chocolate Nutrisystem Protein and Probiotic Shake Mix, one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, two tablespoons of dry sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix, half of a cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt and one egg. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then, stir in the egg and yogurt. Pour the batter into a greased six-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When the cake is finished baking, place it into the freezer to cool completely.
Once the cake is cool, combine it with two tablespoons of low fat cream cheese. This will be the binder and hold the cake pops together while you shape them. Crumble the cake and cream cheese together by hand until they are well-incorporated. Take about one to two tablespoons of the cake mixture and form it into a ball. Repeat this process until you have 12 equal-sized cake balls. Place them on parchment paper and put them in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
Now it is time to make your chocolate shell! While your chocolate cake pops are firming up in the freezer, combine three-quarters of a cup of chocolate chips with one teaspoon of coconut oil in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate melts completely. Be sure to stir the mixture often to prevent the chocolate from burning. Remove your cake from the freezer and place a stick into each ball. Dip them into the chocolate mixture until they are fully-coated. Add sprinkles, chocolate chips or other toppings if desired (keep reading for suggestions!). Let the cake pops sit until the chocolate hardens and store them in the fridge.
The fun doesn’t stop when you pull these chocolate cake pops out of the freezer! After you dip them in the melted chocolate, you can sprinkle or roll them in a variety of different toppings. Get creative and come up with different combinations that your friends and family love. We have come up with a few different themed ideas to get you started. If you use any of these healthy recipe ideas, make sure to consult the Nutrisystem Grocery Guide so that you know how to count these additions.
- Spice up your life: Add a sprinkle of sea salt, cinnamon, ginger or cayenne pepper.
- Chocolate lovers: Top with unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder, cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips.
- Go nuts: Crush and sprinkle on some peanuts, pecans, cashews or almonds.
- Baking barista: Sprinkle your pops with a bit of freshly ground coffee or espresso powder.
- Tasty tropical treat: Roll your cake pops in coconut flakes, raspberry powder or crushed banana chips.
- Festive foodie: Top with some crushed candy canes or Christmas colored sprinkles.
- Sweet and salty snack: Roll them in some crushed pretzels, popcorn or chips.
This recipe makes 12 perfectly portioned Chocolate Protein Cake Pops. One of them contains just 111 calories and counts as all three of your daily Extras on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Ensure you don’t go over your Extras for the day by keeping track of this healthy snack in your NuMi app. NuMi is a great place to stay organized with your daily menu. Click here to log your cake pop in the NuMi app. >
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to get in your protein for the day? Consider adding a healthy protein powder into your meal prep routine! Whip up healthy and delicious protein shakes, smoothie bowls, energy balls and even cake pops with the nutrient-packed powder. Nutrisystem makes chocolate and vanilla Protein and Probiotic Shakes that contain 15 grams of protein and 23 vitamins and minerals. Even better, one serving clocks in at just 120 calories. We even deliver them directly to your door! Stock up and stay satisfied with powerful nutrition in every delicious drop. Click here to fill your kitchen with pantry-friendly, probiotic-rich protein shakes! >
Craving chocolate but don’t feel like turning on the oven? Here at The Leaf, we have plenty of bake-free recipes that are delicious, healthy and Nutrisystem-approved! Our health and wellness experts have put together a list of some of our favorite chocolate recipes for your weight loss menu below:
- Need a new recipe for your Nutrisystem chocolate shake mix? You’ll love this Triple Chocolate Protein Shake >
- Another popular chocolate treat from Nutrisystem is featured in this sweet snack. Try these 3-Ingredient Chocolate Pecan Caramel Bites >
- Chocolate-covered fruit is always welcome on our menu. Check out these healthy Chocolate Caramel Apples >
- You only need four ingredients to make this simple strawberry snack. Enjoy our recipe for Strawberries and Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce >
- Cool down and stay hydrated with a frozen chocolaty treat! Fill up on protein with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Popsicles >
- Your Nutrisystem protein powder is just one of the delicious, wholesome ingredients for 3-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bombs >
- Another sweet treat on a stick! Fresh fruit shines in this summer-approved recipe for Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Banana Kebabs >
Of course, the Nutrisystem a la carte menu is also filled with no-bake chocolaty sweets to satisfy your sweet tooth. From frozen favorites like our Chocolate Brownie Sundae and Fudge Bar to pantry-friendly, easy snacks like Milk Chocolate Flavored Pretzels and Chocolate Chip Cookies. Peruse our healthy menu and pick out your favorite sweet treats for home delivery!
Lose weight and get healthy with a convenient meal delivery service! Nutrisystem delivers your favorite foods made healthier directly to your door. Learn more about our delicious meal plans >
Servings: 12 (1 serving = 1 cake pop)
Calories per Serving: 111
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 3 Extras
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops Chocolate Nutrisystem Protein and Probiotic Shake Mix
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix, dry
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese low fat
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, pudding mix, cocoa powder and protein powder. Stir in the egg and yogurt.
- Pour the batter into a greased 6-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes, then place into the freezer to cool completely.
- Crumble the cake and cream cheese together by hand until well-incorporated.
- Take about 1-2 tablespoons of cake and form it into a ball. Repeat until you have 12 equal-sized cake balls. Place them on parchment paper and freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time, until melted, stirring often.
- Place a stick into each cake ball and dip them into the chocolate mixture until fully-coated. Add sprinkles or more chocolate chips if desired. Let the cake pops sit until the chocolate hardens. Store in the fridge.