Edamame FalafelRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Appetizers, Main Courses, Snacks
Boost up the protein in your salads and sandwiches with our Edamame Falafel. This healthy twist on the middle eastern classic is just what your meatless Monday menu has been missing.
While most falafel consists of chickpeas or garbanzo beans as the base, our version uses edamame for a high protein swap. It also adds a beautiful green hue that look delicious atop a bed of dark, leafy greens or stuffed inside a whole wheat pita pocket. Pair these protein-packed falafel with a delicious dip that complements the mild, versatile flavors, such as hummus, tzatziki or baba ghanoush. If want to fill up on falafel but you’re not a fan of edamame, check out our recipe for Lightened up Falafel with Tzatziki! >
To make this vegetarian dish, grab your food processor and combine deshelled edamame with an egg, carrots, bread crumbs, cilantro and spices. We love cumin and onion powder, but feel free to take your flavor profile in a different direction with garlic, cayenne pepper or turmeric. Roll the mixture into 12 equal-sized balls and bake on a greased baking sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Flip your falafel and bake for another four minutes.
One serving of this Edamame Falafel contains 146 calories and counts as one PowerFuel and one Extra on the Nutrisystem program. PowerFuels are an important part of your meal plan and help you stay satisfied and maintain muscle mass while you lose weight. Make sure you’re getting in all of your required PowerFuels with help from the NuMi app! It pairs perfectly with your Nutrisystem plan and will quickly become your new best friend. Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app >
Need more plant-based inspiration? Check out these other vegetarian recipes:
- Vegetarian Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles >
- Garlic Soy Sheet Pan Tofu >
- Zoodle Mac and Cheese with Roasted Veggies >
- Asian Cashew and Farro Salad >
- Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Bowl >
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh >
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup >
Lose weight and become your healthiest self with delicious meals from Nutrisystem! Learn more about our programs >
Servings: 4 (1 serving = 3 falafel balls)
Calories per Serving: 146
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 1 Extra
- 2 cups edamame, deshelled
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine all ingredients except for the carrots into a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add in carrots and pulse food processor to break up carrots.
- Roll edamame mixture into 12 equal balls. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip falafels and bake for another 4 minutes.
- Serve over a salad or inside whole wheat pita bread.