French onion soup is a classic comfort food no matter the time of year. But what if a hot bowl of soup just isn’t what you’re craving, but the loads of flavor that accompany French onion soup are? We’ve got you covered with this delicious, Nutrisystem-approved French Onion Stuffed Chicken recipe.
When you’re ready to kick off your kitchen caper, you can start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Next, toss a tablespoon of margarine into a skillet on medium-high heat. After the butter is melted, add onions and cook until the onions start to caramelize. Reduce the heat to medium and pour in half of the beef broth and stir the mixture until the onions are brown. Remove from heat and pour the broth and onions into a bowl— we know it’ll smell yummy, but we urge you to resist taking a spoonful, we promise it’s worth the wait!
Next, you’ll want to grab the chicken breast and slice it in half horizontally. Be sure to create a pocket in the chicken, cutting straight through the chicken will only be a hassle for you later. Season the chicken breast to taste with pepper and garlic powder—feel free to spice up the chicken with any of your other favorite seasonings! With the chicken seasoned to your heart’s content, it’s time to spoon tablespoons of onions into each pocket. Top off the pockets with cheese and once full, you can seal the pockets using toothpicks.
Now it’s time to heat the skillet back up with one tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chicken breast for about three minutes on each side or until browned. Once seared, place the chicken in a baking dish and pour the remaining broth and onions over the chicken. Cover the baking dish with foil and toss it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Once cool, you’ll have a delicious and unique twist on French onion soup!
And even though this French Onion Stuffed Chicken is 100 percent Nutrisystem-approved, it’s still important to log each serving in NuMi. NuMi takes the stress out of eating right by keeping track of your foods and showing you the latest weight loss tips and tricks. Log all of your daily food intake right here in NuMi to stay on track with your weight loss goals >
We’ve got plenty of other protein-packed chicken recipes that you can fill your Flex meal with. Check out a few of our favorites:
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks? Nutrisystem’s got a plan that will work for you! Click here to learn more >
Calories per Serving: 225
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 1 Extra
- 1 Tbsp. lite margarine
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, part-skim
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 5-8 minutes until onions start to caramelize.
- Reduce heat to medium, pour in half the broth and stir until onions are brown. Turn off heat and transfer onions to a bowl.
- Cut chicken breast in half horizontally to create pockets. Season entire chicken with pepper and garlic powder.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of onions in each pocket. Stuff with cheese and seal chicken with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken breast for 3 minutes each side until browned. Transfer chicken to baking dish.
- Place remaining onions and broth on top of the chicken.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.