If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, this recipe may be the deciding factor in finally clicking “order” on the ever-so-popular kitchen tool. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks and desserts—this versatile pressure cooker makes no exception to side dishes, too. And one of our all-time favorite side dishes is this Instant Pot Lentils recipe. These lentils are an Instant Pot must-try that pack in the nutritional value AND flavor.
Our recipe for Instant Pot Lentils is Italian-inspired, so it’s a no-brainer that it includes a list of flavor-packed ingredients. Onion, garlic, tomatoes, oregano and the list goes on. Complemented by fresh green kale and topped with kalamata olives and everyone’s favorite, Parmesan cheese, these Instant Pot Lentils will have the whole family begging for more week after week.
And aside from being out-of-this-world in taste factor, with the help of the instant pot, this healthy side can be thrown together in the blink of an eye. The recipe yields six servings, and each serving counts as one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb and one Extra on your Nutrisystem meal plan. By having a go-to healthy recipe the whole family can enjoy, you can ensure you are staying on track with your weight loss goals. To make your weight loss journey even easier, be sure to use our food tracker app, NuMi. You can easily your daily food intake right here in NuMi >
Got the itch to use your Instant Pot over and over again? Us, too. Liven up your Flex menu with a few more of our Instant Pot favorites:
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps >
- Instant Pot Spicy Carnitas >
- Instant Pot Chicken Creole >
- Instant Pot Roast >
- Instant Pot Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce >
- Instant Pot Herb Roasted Potatoes >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners? Nutrisystem’s got a plan for you! Click here to learn more >
Servings: 6 (~1.5 cup lentils plus toppings)
Calories per Serving: 248
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1¾ cup green lentils
- 1 14.5-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups (packed) chopped kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives (~8 olives)
- Select “Sauté” setting on the Instant Pot. Once Instant Pot is “Hot”, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, onion and garlic to the Instant Pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients to Instant Pot except kale, salt and pepper. Stir contents and seal lid with the vent in the closed position. Select “Pressure Cooker” setting and “High Pressure”. Change cooking time to 20 minutes.
- When beep sounds (signaling completion of cooking), use the Quick Release to release pressure from the Instant Pot before carefully removing lid.
- Stir in kale and salt and pepper to taste. Re-secure lid and leave Instant Pot on the “Warming” setting for 10 minutes to allow kale to wilt.
- Serve hot. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and ~½ tablespoon chopped olives.