Warm weather brings many gifts. From sunshine and flowers to beach vacations and sun-kissed skin, there is plenty to celebrate with the arrival of longer days. However, there’s one simple, very sweet reason why we look forward to summer: It’s peach season! We take advantage of the seasonal summer bounty by using fresh peaches in this healthy peach pie recipe.
Peaches are a unique fruit with a sweet yet tart taste, a beautiful color and an impressive nutritional profile. Fresh peaches are so good, we didn’t even need to add extra sugar to this pie! According to Healthline, “fresh peaches have higher levels of antioxidants and appear to be more effective at protecting against oxidative damage than canned ones.” Antioxidants help to boost the immune system and protect against free radicals, oxidative damage, disease and aging. Peaches are also rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and fiber.
Want to lose weight? Eat peaches! Click the link below to learn more about how peaches can help you reach your summer weight loss goal:
One slice of this Fresh Peach Pie contains 170 calories and counts as one SmartCarb and two Extras on the Nutrisystem program. Add a PowerFuel to your pie by topping it with some chopped pecans! If you have a third Extra to spare for the day, you can also serve it up with some fat free cool whip or whipped cream. You are allotted three Extras per day on your Nutrisystem plan, so make sure to keep track of them in NuMi for the best results! Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app. >
Tasty Tip: If you’re craving some ice cream with your Fresh Peach Pie, we have just the healthy hack you need! Whip up a Vanilla Nutrisystem Protein and Probiotic Shake in the blender, then throw it the freezer to harden up a bit. Enjoy a protein-packed scoop of “ice cream” over your slice of heaven. Want your pie to go? Make a peach milkshake by blending up a slice with your vanilla shake mix… YUM!
Feeling peachy? We’ve got plenty of healthy recipes that feature this summer fruit favorite! Check out some tasty ideas below:
- Skinny Peach Cobbler >
- Peachy Honey Whipped Ricotta >
- Peach Buzz Bagel Sandwich >
- Blackberry Peach Upside Down Muffin-Cakes >
- Healthy Air Fryer Peaches >
- Peach Melba Pudding >
- Peachy Green Ginger Smoothie >
If you want an even easier way to use up your fresh peaches, fire up the grill! You can prepare grilled peaches easily by slicing them in half and removing the pits. For more flavor, brush them lightly with honey and sprinkle them with a little bit of cinnamon. Put the peach halves on the grill with the cut side down and cook for eight to 10 minutes, until the fruit is hot throughout.
Have you come up with your own recipe that features peaches? Make sure to submit it on our Recipe Submit submission page for a chance to have it featured right here on The Leaf Weight Loss Blog! Click here to share your recipes. >
Looking for a healthy meal delivery service? We’re here for you! Learn more about Nutrisystem meal plans >
Calories per Serving: 170
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 2 Extras
- 5 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 10 Tbsp. light butter (place in freezer for at least 30 minutes)
- 10 Tbsp. water (may vary)
- 1 egg
- Combine frozen butter and flour by hand or in a food processor.
- Add in about 5 tablespoons of water and mix well. Continue adding water as needed until a dough is formed.
- Cut the dough in half and wrap each one in plastic. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Place peaches, cinnamon and lemon juice in a pot and heat at medium-high until soft and bubbly.
- In the meantime, mix equal parts cornstarch and water together to make a thick paste.
- Pour cornstarch mixture with peaches and heat on medium-low for 5 minutes, until thick, stirring often. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll out each pie dough into a circle. Place one of the dough circles into a greased pie pan.
- Pour the peach filling into the pie pan.
- Top the peach filling with the second dough circle. Pinch the edges of the dough together. Optional: Feel free to use a fork for decorative edge. You can also create a lattice design with the dough on top.
- Cut a few slits in the center of the pie dough.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Then brush pie with egg wash and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the top turns golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it sit for a few hours before serving.