Spring Beet Orzo Risotto RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses, Sides
Celebrate spring with this simple SmartCarb side dish! While it’s not your traditional risotto recipe made with rice, this delicious and nutritious spring-inspired orzo is prepared in a similar fashion, simmered in broth and seasoned to perfection. Beets give this orzo risotto a colorful appearance that’s perfect for the season. Topped with creamy goat cheese and crunchy sliced almonds, it’s a decadent dish that’s worthy of your Easter menu.
Sautéed onions and orzo are simmered in a low-sodium vegetable broth with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Once the liquid is absorbed, roasted and pureed beets are added to the mixture for a deep flavor and beautiful red color. Finally, a garnish of toasted almonds and crumbled goat cheese transforms this simple dish it a colorful combination of textures and flavors. Serve it up with another PowerFuel, such as grilled chicken, steak or fish. Yum!
One serving of this Spring Beet Orzo Risotto recipe contains 317 calories. It counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Extra and half of Vegetable serving on the Nutrisystem program. Lose weight in time for summer with a little help from the NuMi app! It’s the perfect place to keep track of your meals, snacks, water, exercise and weight loss progress. Click here to log this recipe in NuMi! >
You can’t beat the superfood power of beets. (Learn more about why we love this root veggie right here! >) Fill up your healthy menu with some of our tasty beet recipes below:
- Mega Beet Burger >
- Miso Salmon with Kale and Beets >
- Beetroot and Quinoa Superfood Salad >
- Balsamic Beet and Goat Cheese Salad >
- Arugula Beet Salad with Orange Slices >
- Beet and Goat Cheese Appetizer >
- Roasted Rosemary Beets and Carrots >
- Healthy Red Velvet Brownies >
- Farro Roasted Vegetable Salad >
- Chicken Root Power Bowl >
Lose weight and get healthy with delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners delivered directly to your door! Nutrisystem is here for you with convenient, perfectly portioned meals and a simple weight loss plan. Get started with Nutrisystem today! >
Calories per Serving: 317
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Extra and ½ Vegetable
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 cup beets, trimmed and chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place beets on a baking pan and toss with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until soft. Let cool and then blend to a puree.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the orzo and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the broth and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until soft and liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, toast almonds for a few minutes in the oven or in a pan over the stove.
- When orzo is finished, stir in the pureed beets and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the risotto with goat cheese and toasted almonds.