Chinese takeout is typically off the table when you’re trying to eat healthy. Keep enjoying your favorite order while you lose the weight with this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe! Put Chinese food back into your dinner rotation and fill up on a satisfying meal without the guilt.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Chinese dish with a complex flavor profile. Pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce and rice vinegar come together to create the sweet and sour taste you know and love. We toss it with bite-sized pieces of tender chicken and fresh, crisp vegetables and serve it all over a bed of brown rice. If you’re trying to watch your carb intake, feel free to swap in riced cauliflower for a delicious alternative.
One serving of this Sweet and Sour Chicken contains 440 calories and counts as one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels, three Extras and one Vegetable on the Nutrisystem plan. As you begin your weight loss journey, keeping track of Flex meals is essential to your success. The NuMi app makes it easy and tells you exactly what you need on your specific program. Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app >
If you don’t have time for cooking in your busy schedule, you can still dine out on the Nutrisystem program. The Leaf Weight Loss Blog is filled with tips for eating out and staying on plan. Click the link below to learn how to navigate your favorite Chinese restaurants menu:
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll love these other healthy takes on Chinese takeout!:
- Savory Pork Egg Roll Bowl >
- Chicken Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce >
- Air Fryer Crab Wontons >
- Chinese Cabbage with Spicy Garlic Ginger Sauce >
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Wontons >
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp >
- Vegetable Spring Rolls with Sweet Cilantro Sauce >
Want healthy, Asian-inspired cuisine delivered right to your door? The Nutrisystem A La Carte menu is filled with delicious options! Try out our Spicy Kung Pao Noodles, Chicken with Apricot Glaze and Sweet Ginger Veggie & Grain Blend.
Lose weight and become the healthiest version of you with Nutrisystem! Learn more about our programs >
Calories per Serving: 440
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels, 3 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 10 oz. boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- ½ Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Coat chicken pieces in 1 tablespoon of corn starch.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Add chicken and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, onions, garlic and ginger to the skillet. Sauté until chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove ingredients from the skillet and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together brown sugar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar and ketchup. Pour into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Whisk together the rest of the corn starch with water. Add to the skillet and stir until thickened.
- Add the chicken and veggie mixture back to the skillet. Stir to coat in the sauce.
- Serve over rice.