Tomato and Summer Squash Galette RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Baking isn’t reserved for just the fall and winter! With summer farmers markets being filled with so many delicious fruits and vegetables, it’s the perfect opportunity to whip up some delicious baked goods. Instead of making the same old basic fruit pie, try something new with this savory galette recipe that’s chockfull of seasonal veggies!
Never heard of a galette? It’s essentially a rustic, freeform tart or pie that’s a little rough around the edges … literally! It can be sweet or savory and tends to feature delicious and nutritious produce like fresh fruits and veggies. We created a healthy and savory galette recipe that’s filled with summer vegetables, including tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash.
Our healthy galette crust features a combination of whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, cold light butter and ice cold water. A mixture of creamy ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and black pepper is spread onto the crust and topped with tomato slices, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced zucchini and sliced yellow squash. A drizzle of olive oil and a medley of fresh herbs and spices completes this hearty, summer-inspired treat.
This tomato galette recipe makes six servings. Each serving contains 222 calories. If you’re on the Nutrisystem weight loss plan, you can log it as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, two Extras and half of a Vegetable serving in your NuMi app journal. While it doesn’t contain enough veggies to count as a full serving, you can always feel free to enjoy more on top or on the side! Non-starchy veggies are unlimited on the Nutrisystem program.
There are tons of ways to enjoy summer-inspired baked goods while soaking up the sun. Check out some of these other healthy summer oven recipes:
- Must-Try Strawberry Pie >
- Easy Blueberry Pie Crumble >
- Blackberry Peach Upside Down Muffin Cakes >
- Pretzel Crust Fruit Pie >
- 5-Ingredient Simple Eggplant Parmesan >
- Easy Fresh Fruit Tart >
- Skinny Peach Cobbler >
Lose weight enjoying your favorite meals made healthy! Get started with a Nutrisystem plan today >
Calories per Serving: 222
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 2 Extra and ½ Vegetable
- ½ zucchini, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese, part skim
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 6 Tbsp. light butter, cold, cut into large cubes
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- To make the crust, mix flours and cornmeal in a medium bowl. Add cubes of butter and work into flour mixture. Mixture will resemble a coarse meal. Add in cold water and roll into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough ball out on a lightly floured surface into a 10-12" round. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and black pepper. Spread onto the crust.
- Top with tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash.
- Fold over about 1-2" of border to make a crust around the cheese and vegetables.
- Drizzle olive oil over the galette. Sprinkle with thyme, black pepper and garlic.
- Brush egg yolk over the crust.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle chopped basil on top.