Easy Blueberry Pie Crumble RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks
Nothing puts us in the “summer mood” quite like a fresh, fruity recipe. Blueberry season is almost here and we’re serving up sweet and skinny slices of our Blueberry Crumble Pie. Our recipe developers know that healthier versions of classic desserts are some of our most popular recipes. After all, who doesn’t love a hot and hearty slice of pie?! From apple to strawberry to peach, we have pie recipes that satisfy while keeping you slim. Now you can add this beautiful blue baked good to your summer recipe box for a delicious way to use up this seasonal superfood.
The secret ingredient in this Blueberry Pie Crumble? Chia seeds! This tiny but mighty seed is a great way to add a “jelly” texture without gelatin. That’s why it’s often featured in healthy recipes like chia jam and chia pudding. According to Healthline, chia seeds are very high in fiber, protein, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. Paired with blueberries, this recipe is a fiber and antioxidant powerhouse! Get more tips for cooking with chia seeds here. >
This berrylicious pie might look like a gourmet dessert from your local bakery. However, it’s actually super simple to make! Get started by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. While it’s getting hot, create the base of your crust by blending up oats in a food processor until a flour-like texture is formed. Turn the oat flour into a dough by adding butter, egg and cinnamon to the food processor and continue blending until you create a dough. Remove about a quarter of the dough and set it aside for the top. Press the remaining dough into a pie dish to form the crust. Bake the crust for 12 minutes.
While your crust is baking, it’s time to make the beautiful blueberry filling. In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, water, lemon juice and more cinnamon. Bring the filling to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for about five minutes. Next, stir in chia seeds, cornstarch and some more blueberries. Mix well, turn off the heat and set it aside to cool and thicken for about 10 minutes. Pour the blueberry mixture into the pie crust and sprinkle the remaining dough mixture on top as a crumb. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool before digging in.
This Blueberry Pie Crumble clocks in at just 138 calories per delicious slice. Due to the fiber-rich blueberries, chia seeds and oats, it counts as one SmartCarb and one Extra on the Nutrisystem meal plan. Log your slice into the NuMi app with just a few easy taps by clicking here. >
Take advantage of the summer harvest by enjoying blueberries all season long. Check out these other popular blueberry recipes below:
- Blueberry Cream Pierogies >
- Matcha Blueberry Muffins >
- Blueberry Green Tea Smoothie >
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad >
- Skinny Blueberry Cheesecake Donuts >
- Blueberry Lemon Chia Jam >
- Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Sundae >
- Lightened-Up Lemon Blueberry Tart >
- Blueberry Burst Energy Balls >
- Blueberry Almond Nice Cream >
Lose weight and get healthy with delicious meals, snacks and sweets delivered directly to your door! Learn more about the Nutrisystem program >
Calories per Serving: 138
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 2 ¼ cups quick oats
- 3 Tbsp. light butter, place in freezer for about 30 minutes ahead of time
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place oats into a food processor and process until a flour-like texture is formed.
- Add butter, egg and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pulse until a dough is formed.
- Remove about ¼ of the dough and set it aside for the top. Press the remaining dough into a pie dish to form the crust.
- Bake the crust for 12 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of the blueberries, water, lemon juice and the remaining cinnamon. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chia seeds, cornstarch and remaining blueberries. Mix well, turn off heat and set aside for 7-10 minutes.
- Pour blueberry mixture into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough mixture on top as a crumb and bake for 15 minutes.