We can’t think of a better way to make your heart (and waistline) happy than with a refreshing salad bursting with flavor… and heart-healthy nutrients. Complete with walnuts and raisins, this Waldorf Salad is sure to make your weekend, and your healthy eating habits, enjoyable. This salad is the perfect meal (or addition to a meal) for any occasion due to its fresh and filling ingredients.
In three simple steps, you can have a delicious and fresh salad that makes a whopping 12 servings—so it’s perfect to share with the family or to savor solo (you’ll enjoy leftovers throughout the whole week!). Complete with a homemade dressing made from Greek yogurt, this Waldorf Salad is sure to satisfy your taste buds without causing you a fall off the weight loss wagon. The homemade dressing is also bursting with flavor from hints of honey, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Hearty barley is at the base of this creative cuisine, so it’s certain to leave you feeling full. Another appealing aspect of this dish? It’s as simple as combining your dressing ingredients in a large a bowl, boiling your barley and adding the remaining ingredients. Easy-peasy.
On your Nutrisystem meal plan, one serving of this Waldorf Salad counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and two Extras. Although this salad is certainly filled with nutritious ingredients, it’s important to remember to keep track of your daily intake by logging it in the NuMi app so you don’t overdo it. Log your Waldorf salad right here in the NuMi app >
Not familiar with our free tracking app? Check out NuMi 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Our Free Tracking App and learn all you need to know about our easy-to-use daily tracker!
Calories per Serving: 227
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 2 cups barley, uncooked
- 6 cups water
- 1 large apple, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Add the barley and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Keep covered for about 40 minutes to an hour. Barley will be soft and chewy when done. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled barley and remaining salad ingredients.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, pour over salad and mix thoroughly.