4-Step Chinese Garlic EggplantRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
Fresh eggplant, garlic and green onions come together in a sweet and spicy soy sauce for a simple yet complex side dish. With such an interesting flavor profile, you would never guess that this Chinese Garlic Eggplant recipe takes just four easy steps.
Eggplant is considered a non-starchy vegetable on Nutrisystem. However, this healthy plant is technically a fruit, says Healthline. Their beautiful vibrant hue can range from dark purple, red, green or black. With a high fiber and low-calorie content, they are perfect for your weight loss menu.
To make this simple, four-step recipe, get started by tossing bite-sized pieces of eggplant in cornstarch until they are lightly coated. Place your eggplant in a nonstick skillet with canola oil and sauté over medium-heat for about eight minutes. Once the eggplant is soft, remove it from the pan. Sauté minced garlic and sliced green onions for about two minutes, return the eggplant to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. In a small bowl, prepare your sauce by combining low sodium soy sauce, water, sugar, corn starch and ground ginger. Pour the sauce over the eggplant mixture and cook until the sauce has thickened.
One serving of this Chinese Garlic Eggplant contains 119 calories and counts as two Extras and one Vegetable on the Nutrisystem program. Since you are allotted three Extras per day, we recommend sticking to one serving of this veggie side to stay within your meal plan guidelines. Easily keep track of all your Extras by logging your food intake in the NuMi app! Click here to log this recipe in NuMi >
The Leaf Weight Loss Blog is filled with diet-friendly eggplant recipes! Check out these other tasty ideas featuring this violet veggie:
- Air Fried Eggplant Parm Poppers >
- Roasted Garlic Eggplant Pizza >
- Easy Eggplant Bruschetta >
- Balsamic Eggplant Chips >
- Ricotta Pesto Eggplant Pizza >
Lose weight and get healthy with nutritious food delivered right to your door! Learn more about Nutrisystem meal plans >
Calories per Serving: 119
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 1 eggplant, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- Toss eggplant in 1 tablespoon of corn starch.
- Add oil to a nonstick skillet and set to medium-high heat. Cook eggplant until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the skillet. Add garlic and green onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Return eggplant to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour into the skillet with the eggplant mixture. Cook until the sauce has thickened.