Greek Cod with Brown Rice PilafRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Customer Submitted, Main Courses
Fish, rice and veggies may seem like the components of your average healthy meal. However, this Greek-inspired dish is anything but average. Cod filets are smothered in creamy, salty feta cheese, onions, lemon juice and marjoram, then baked in the oven until flaky and tender. Served atop a bed of steamed spinach and paired brown rice pilaf and veggies, this lightened-up fish recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or a fancy holiday feast.
This user generated recipe was submitted by Leaf visitor and experienced chef, Jeff. Jeff has been a chef for 40 years and has traveled extensively. He enjoys preparing foods for people that they wouldn’t normally eat or don’t think that they like, then watching them be surprised. Jeff has recently been on his own weight loss journey and we’re so happy that he submitted this healthy, diet-friendly recipe. Leaf visitors are sure to love this fish dinner that will keep them nourished and satisfied on the way to their goal.
One serving of this Greek Cod with Brown Rice Pilaf contains 469 calories. You can log it into the NuMi app as three PowerFuels, one SmartCarb, one Vegetable and two Extras. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables as pictured to add another Vegetable serving. Click here to quickly log this recipe in the NuMi app. > Haven’t gotten started with NuMi yet? Make sure to check out NuMi 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Our Free Tracking App >
Brown rice is a great way to fill up on fiber and stay satisfied long after you finish dinner. We have a plethora of recipes that feature this hearty SmartCarb. Get inspired by the versatility of brown rice with the recipes below:
- Tasty Chicken & Veggie Kebabs with Brown Rice >
- Fiesta Chicken and Rice Bowl >
- Instant Pot Chocolate Peppermint Rice Pudding >
- One-Pan Rice, Chicken and Vegetables >
- Ground Turkey and Veggie Curry with Brown Rice >
- Cheesy Chicken Stuffed with Rice and Veggies >
- Veggie and Rice Stuffed Peppers >
- Pistachio-Crusted Salmon with Asparagus & Rice >
Have a favorite recipe that you want to share with us? Submit your Flex meal creations on our Recipe Submission page for a chance to be featured on The Leaf! Share your ideas here >
Get healthy and reach your weight loss goals with delicious food delivered to your door! Learn more about Nutrisystem meals plans >
Calories per Serving: 469
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 3 PowerFuels, 1 Vegetable and 2 Extras
- 6 oz. cod filet
- ¼ cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion + 2 thin slices of onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 oz. reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 tsp. marjoram or oregano
- ½ cup spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place cod onto the baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Top the fish with marjoram, onion slices, feta cheese and lemon juice.
- Sauté the chopped onions, celery and carrots in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables soften. Stir in the rice and toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock to the rice mixture. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- When rice is about 5 minutes to finish, place the fish in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until it flakes easily.
- Heat the spinach in the microwave and form a bed on a dinner plate.
- Place the fish on top of the spinach with the pilaf. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Serve with a side of steamed non-starchy vegetables (carrots, onions, squash, asparagus, peppers, etc.).