Healthy Stuffed Cabbage RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Cook up a classic meal with a healthy twist! Soft cabbage leaves are filled with tender ground turkey and flavorful potatoes in this easy Stuffed Cabbage recipe. If you’re craving comfort food that doubles as a healthy meal, this is the dinner for you!
Learn how to make stuffed cabbage the healthy way with our easy recipe. It features simple staples that you probably already have on hand. Plus, it’s a delicious dinner that the whole household will love!
Preparing the Stuffed Cabbage Ingredients
Get started by mixing together your filling: You’ll need ground turkey, shredded potatoes and an egg. Once it’s well combined, set the mixture aside and bring a large pot of water to a boil. You’ll use this to cook up your cabbage leaves.
Grab a head of cabbage and carefully remove the core of it with a paring knife. Immerse the head of cabbage in the boiling water for a few minutes, peeling off each leaf as soon as it’s soft and flexible. Set the leaves aside and pat them dry with a paper towel. (You will need about nine to 12 leaves.)
Now that your cabbage leaves are ready, it’s time to get rolling! Place a small portion of the meat filling into each cabbage leaf. Tuck the sides and roll the cabbage until the meat is fully sealed inside.
How to Cook Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Cook your cabbage rolls in a pot filled with sugar, ginger and water. Make sure that you choose a pot that will fit all of the cabbage rolls and that the mixture is fully dissolved before you start cooking. Place the cabbage rolls into the pot, seam side down. Cover the pot slightly and simmer the cabbage rolls for one hour.
When the hour is up, remove the lid and add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Let the rolls simmer uncovered for 30 more minutes, then preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the cabbage rolls to a casserole dish and add a sprinkle of garlic powder. Finally, bake the cabbage rolls for 30 minutes until the sauce is brown.
Logging Your Meal
This Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe makes four servings, so it’s perfect for the whole family. Each serving contains 318 calories. If you’re on the Nutrisystem weight loss plan, you can log it into your NuMi journal as one and a half PowerFuels, three Extras and one Vegetable serving.
Want to add a SmartCarb to this meal? Serve your cabbage rolls over brown rice, a bean salad or with a side of whole grain bread. If you’re not a fan of ground turkey, you can also easily swap in ground beef or chicken.
More Healthy Recipes
Hungry for more hearty dinners made healthy? Check out these other delicious recipes that fit into your Nutrisystem plan:
- Best Lean Turkey Meatloaf with Oatmeal >
- Savory Turkey Chili >
- No-Bake French Onion Beef Casserole >
- Marinated and Baked Beef Flank Steak >
- Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff >
- Slow Cooker Brisket Chili >
- Easy Slow Cooker Taco Soup with Ground Beef >
Lose weight and get healthy with the Nutrisystem meal delivery service! We deliver perfectly portioned meals directly to your door. Learn more about our programs >
Calories per Serving: 318
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 ½ PowerFuels, 3 Extras and 1 Vegetable
- 1 cabbage
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ½ potato, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ginger, grated
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Mix ground turkey with potato and egg. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove the core of the cabbage with a paring knife. Immerse the head of cabbage in the boiling water for a few minutes, peeling off each leaf as soon as it's soft and flexible. Set leaves aside and pat dry with a paper towel. You will need about 9-12 leaves.
- Place a small portion of the meat filling into the leaf of the cabbage. Tuck the sides and roll cabbage to fully seal. Repeat with remaining leaves.
- In a pot that will fit all the cabbage rolls, mix sugar, ginger and water until dissolved
- Place the cabbage rolls in pot, seam side down. Cover pot slightly and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid, add tomato sauce and paste, and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer cabbage to casserole dish and sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake about 30 minutes, until sauce is browned.
- Serve hot.