No-Bake French Onion Beef CasseroleRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
While most casseroles involve the oven, this no-bake dish is made right on your stovetop! So, you can forget about “low and slow” and enjoy a hearty yet healthy dinner in less than an hour. Our French Onion Beef Casserole is the perfect homemade family feast.
We keep the fat content low in this creamy pasta recipe by making a few smart substitutions. 95 percent lean ground beef is our protein of choice, while light butter, part skim mozzarella cheese and light sour cream create the rich, decadent sauce. Big flavor is found in the form of several low calorie ingredients, such as onions, garlic, low sodium beef broth and a variety of spices like garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme and black pepper. Finally, whole wheat farfalle turns this simple dinner into comfort fare.
To kick off this no-bake casserole, get started by melting light butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in sliced onions and minced garlic, stirring frequently to fully coat them in the butter. Cook the onions and garlic for about 12 to 15 minutes. Add in some beef broth when the onions start to dry out.
In a separate pot, brown your ground beef with onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper. Once the beef is fully cooked, add in the cooked onions and the remaining beef broth. Bring the pot to a simmer, then add in your uncooked whole wheat farfalle pasta. Top the pot with a lid, leaving it slightly open. Allow the meal to simmer for about 15 more minutes. When the pasta is completely cooked, remove the pot from the heat and stir in your sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Pour this beefy, cheesy meal into a casserole dish before placing it on the table.
Healthy Hack: Need some help getting in your four required Vegetable servings? This is the perfect recipe to add them to! Choose your favorite veggies and throw them in with your onions and garlic while they’re cooking. From broccoli and red bell peppers to tomatoes and zucchini, this versatile beef recipe can take on your favorite high-fiber combinations. Not sure what is considered a non-starchy vegetable on the Nutrisystem program? Click here for our Grocery Guide! >
One serving of this No-Bake French Onion Beef Casserole contains 326 calories. You can log it into your food journal as one SmartCarb, two PowerFuels and two Extras. Packed with protein and high in fiber, this balanced meal is a great dish for any occasion. Tap here to quickly log it into the NuMi app. >
Turn your weekly pasta night into a healthy family dinner! The Leaf Weight Loss Blog has many lightened-up noodle dishes to keep you satisfied. Check out some of our delicious and healthy ideas below:
- Cashew Cream Veggie Pasta >
- Healthy Chicken Piccata >
- Vegetarian Meatballs With Zucchini Noodles >
- Artichoke and Spinach Chicken Pasta >
- Shrimp Pasta With Garlic Asparagus >
- Chicken A La King >
- Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash Pasta >
- Shrimp Scampi with Zoodles >
- 15-Minute Beef Lo Mein >
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo >
If you’re looking for more casserole recipes, we have plenty of those at the ready, too! Check out the link below for seven healthy options you can enjoy on Nutrisystem:
This healthy beef casserole isn’t the only no-bake meal that we have for your weight loss menu! Nutrisystem offers many convenient dinners that are ready to enjoy in minutes. Check out our a la carte store and stock up on diet-friendly options! You’ll love our zesty Chicken Enchiladas and creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo.
Lose weight and get healthy with the Nutrisystem meal delivery service! We deliver perfectly portioned meals directly to your door. Learn more about our plans! >
Calories per Serving: 326
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 PowerFuels and 2 Extras
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef, raw
- 1 Tbsp. light butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ¾ cups beef broth, low sodium
- 2 cups whole wheat farfalle pasta, dry
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim
- ½ cup light sour cream
- Heat butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add in onions and garlic. Stir to fully coat them in butter.
- Cook onions for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in ¼ cup of broth when onions start to dry out.
- In a separate pot, brown the beef with onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, add in the onions and 2 ½ cups of broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in the pasta. Top with a lid, leaving it slightly open. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Pour in a casserole dish before serving.