Instant Pot Sweet Potato Shepherd’s PieRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Cozy up to a classic comfort food creation with a twist! Homemade shepherd’s pie gets a healthy makeover with an Instant Pot, a creamy mashed sweet potato topping and lean ground turkey. This family-style meal is perfect for the cold winter months when you’re craving a hearty dinner that the whole household will love!
One serving of this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie contains 236 calories. It counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Extra and half of a Vegetable serving, making it the perfect comfort food Flex meal for your Nutrisystem weight loss plan. Keep track of all of your Flex meals and snacks with a little help from the NuMi app! You can easily log your food intake, water, activity and weight loss progress. Plus, shop for your favorite Nutrisystem meals and gain easy access to The Leaf! Click here to log this dish into your NuMi journal. >
Healthy Hacks: Feel free to add some carrots to this Instant Pot pie! They are considered a non-starchy vegetable on Nutrisystem. You can also swap the ground turkey with chicken or lean beef. Want to add another SmartCarb? Try it with corn or lentils for extra texture and fiber!
Here at Nutrisystem, we’re sweet on sweet potatoes! Fill up your weight loss menu with the sweet and savory sweet potato recipes below:
- Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes >
- Vegetable Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust >
- Ginger Sweet Potato Bites >
- Cranberry Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potato >
- Sweet Potato Crackers >
- Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl with Creamy Almond Butter Sauce >
- Cranberry Cookies Made with Sweet Potato >
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries >
- Skinny Mashed Sweet Potatoes >
- 3-Ingredient Sweet Potato Muffins >
Reach your weight loss goals with a convenient meal delivery service! Nutrisystem sends perfectly portioned meals and snacks directly to your door. Learn more about our programs here! >
Calories per Serving: 236
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Extra and ½ Vegetable
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp. light butter
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- Select Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and heat the olive oil. Add ground turkey and sauté, breaking it up until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to the Instant Pot and sauté about 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in black pepper, oregano, paprika and tomato paste. Return ground turkey to the Instant Pot and then add the broth and peas.
- Place wire trivet or steam rack on top of the meat mixture and place the sweet potatoes on top.
- Secure the lid and set to seal. Pressure cook on manual for 10 minutes.
- Once cooking time ends, let it naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release by moving the pressure toggle to venting.
- Remove the potatoes and trivet. Mash the potatoes with butter and Italian seasoning.
- Transfer the meat mixture into a baking dish and spread the mashed sweet potato on top.
- Broil the pie in the oven for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Optional: You can also serve the turkey mixture separately with the mashed sweet potatoes on the side.