Healthy Irish Soda MuffinsRecipe posted in: Breakfasts, Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Snacks, Desserts
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by eating a classic treat with a healthy twist! Irish Soda Bread is transformed into a perfectly portioned (and portable!) muffin that’s filled with nutritious ingredients. Whip up a batch of these Irish Soda Bread Muffins today for easy breakfasts and snacks all week!
These easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins feature several wholesome ingredients that really take the nutrition factor up a notch. Inside this treat, you’ll find whole wheat flour, eggs, unsweetened almond milk and nonfat plain Greek yogurt. They come out of the oven soft, moist and with about two grams of fiber per serving. Enjoy them with your favorite sugar-free jam or paired with a hearty soup or stew!
How to Make Irish Soda Bread in Muffin Tins
Preparing these whole wheat Irish Soda Bread Muffins is super fast and easy. After all, Irish Soda Bread is considered a quick bread!
Get started by preheating your oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan with nonstick spray. Grab a large mixing bowl and whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and caraway seeds.
Now that the dry ingredients are ready, mix together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. You’ll need an egg, honey, light butter, unsweetened almond milk and nonfat plain Greek yogurt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then old in raisins or currants.
Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tin so that the cups are about three-quarters of the way full. Pop them in the oven for just 20 minutes and you’ve got a healthy St. Patrick’s Day treat that the whole family will love! Be sure to let the muffins cool for about five minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes 12 servings, with one muffin counting as one serving. One muffin contains about 154 calories and can be logged into your NuMi journal as one SmartCarb and one and a half Extras.
If you have any other Extras for the day, you can enjoy one of these warm, moist Irish Soda Bread Muffins with some sugar-free jam or light butter. You could also add a PowerFuel by adding a tablespoon of almond butter or with a side of pecans. They make a great side dish with a hearty soup or stew, such as this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup recipe! >
More Healthy St. Patrick’s Day Inspired Recipes
- Irish Flag Fruit and Yogurt Parfait >
- Pot of Gold St. Patrick’s Day Shake >
- Saint Patrick’s Day Green Mac and Cheese >
- Irish Soda Bread >
- Spinach Dip with Shamrock Tortilla Chips >
- Pot O’ Gold Fruit Tray >
- Skinny Mint Chocolate Brownie Bites >
- Skinny Irish Potatoes >
- Shamrockin’ Tea Sandwiches >
Want to lose weight enjoying delicious meals delivered directly to your door? Get started with Nutrisystem today! >
Servings: 12 (1 serving = 1 muffin)
Calories per Serving: 154
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 ½ Extras
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup light butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup raisins or currants
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and caraway seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, honey, butter, milk and yogurt.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold in the raisins/currants.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling them to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.