Roasted Jalapeno Quinoa and Chickpea SaladRecipe posted in: Flex™ Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Healthy Sides & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners
Summer may be almost over but you can still enjoy the season’s finest. This summer salad recipe is chock-full of nutritious ingredients and delicious flavor. Roasted jalapeno is the star of the show in a spicy, seasonal side that’s perfect for your family gatherings.
The best part about this dish is that it’s extremely simple to prepare yet seems like you spent hours in the kitchen! It’s sure to impress your guests and spice up the dinner table. The various textures and flavors are the perfect combination to keep you satisfied while you lose the weight.
The first step to preparing this delicious dish is to roast the chickpeas and jalapenos. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Toss the chickpeas and jalapenos in some olive oil and place them onto a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Once they are finished baking, allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
While the chickpeas and jalapenos are cooling, blend together a homemade jalapeno dressing for your salad. Place the jalapenos in a food processor and blend them with olive oil, lime juice and honey. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa and chickpeas with red onion, red pepper, avocado, cilantro, cumin and black pepper. Toss the salad with the jalapeno dressing before serving.
One serving of this Roasted Jalapeno Quinoa and Chickpea Salad contains 224 calories. It counts as one SmartCarb, two Extras and half of a Vegetable serving on your Nutrisystem meal plan. Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app! >
Looking for more spicy recipes to fill up your weight loss menu? Get some inspiration from the hot and zesty recipes below:
- Spicy White Bean Hummus >
- Zesty Tomato Soup >
- 4-Ingredient Spicy Pineapple Teriyaki Pork >
- Spicy Buffalo Deviled Eggs >
- Virgin Jalapeno Lemon Margarita >
- 5-Ingredient Buffalo Cauliflower Breadsticks >
- Spicy Teriyaki Tuna Steak >
- Zesty Cucumber and Dill Salad >
- Bacon Jalapeno Cauliflower Mac and Cheese >
- Spicy Sausage Bruschetta >
Get started with a convenient meal delivery service that helps you lose weight! Nutrisystem delivers pantry and freezer friendly options directly to your door. Learn more about the Nutrisystem program or shop our menu a la carte! >
Calories per Serving: 224
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 2 Extras and ½ Vegetable
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chickpeas, no salt added
- 3 jalapeno, seeded and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Toss chickpeas and jalapenos in 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place the chickpea mixture onto a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
- Let the chickpea mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Place jalapenos in a food processor with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, lime juice and honey. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, chickpeas, red onion, red pepper, avocado, cilantro, cumin and black pepper. Toss with the jalapeno dressing and serve.