One-Pan Chickpea ShakshukaRecipe posted in: Breakfasts, Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Perfect for breakfast, brunch or any other time of the day, this vegetarian dish is filled with fragrant spices and fiber. We love making this recipe on weekend mornings when there’s a little more time to spend cooking up a hearty meal. Spice up your weight loss menu with our One-Pan Chickpea Shakshuka recipe!
Anything that starts with sautéed onions and peppers is sure to be delicious! That’s exactly how this savory dish begins. We follow this first step with the addition of seasonings: minced garlic, paprika, cumin and chili powder. Want to add extra smoky flavor? Smoked paprika is one of our favorite spices and can easily be swapped in place of regular paprika.
A can of whole peeled tomatoes and a bit of black pepper completes the zesty sauce and turns this classic meal into a colorful creation. After some simmering, chickpeas find their way into the pan and take on the flavors of the other ingredients. Finally, we crack four eggs into the pan and throw it in the oven to finish cooking. A garnish of parsley and fresh cilantro add a touch of bright green to this unique meal.
One serving of this One-Pan Chickpea Shakshuka recipe contains 280 calories. It’s a balanced vegetarian meal, counting as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, one Extra and one Vegetable on Nutrisystem. Click here to log this recipe in the NuMi app! >
Brunch is served! Start your morning on the right track with these other smart, satisfying and savory breakfast recipes:
- Air Fryer Baked Eggs >
- Air Fryer Sausage, Potatoes and Veggies >
- Egg White and Spinach Breakfast Burrito >
- Vegetable Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust >
- Cauliflower Breakfast Hash Skillet >
- Sweet Potato Hash Power Bowl >
- Broccoli and Cheese Breakfast Muffins >
Have you come up with your own delicious chickpea recipes? Share your ideas with us on our Recipe Submission page! Your recipe could be featured right here on The Leaf Weight Loss Blog. Click here to submit your recipes! >
Nutrisystem makes weight loss simple! We offer perfectly portioned versions of your favorite meals and snacks. Plus, we deliver them right to your home! From easy breakfasts to hearty dinners to delicious snacks in between, we’re your go-to meal delivery service.
Get started with a Nutrisystem meal plan today! >
Calories per Serving: 280
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 1 Extra and 1 Vegetable
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, no salt added
- 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley and/or cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe pan on medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, cumin and chili powder.
- Pour in the tomatoes with the juice and break down the tomatoes into smaller pieces. Season with pepper.
- Bring to a simmer for 8 minutes. Add chickpeas halfway through.
- Make 4 small wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into each well. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your preference.
- Top with chopped cilantro and/or parsley.