Lean turkey and sautéed onions fill the center of soft, pillowy whole wheat dough. These pierogies are the definition of comfort.
Here at Nutrisystem, we love to take your favorite meals and turn them into a healthier option. Pierogies are a Polish classic that are not typically thought of as diet-friendly. However, we made the dough more nutritious by using whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. The filling is only five ingredients and consists of lean ground turkey, onions, olive oil and spices. The simple flavor profile of these dumplings can handle any type of protein, so feel free to substitute the turkey with another PowerFuel like chicken or lean beef if needed.
One serving of these Turkey Pierogies contains 247 calories and counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and two Extras on the Nutrisystem program. Enjoy them over a garden salad or with a side of steamed veggies to help you reach your four required vegetable servings. If you’d like to add another PowerFuel, feel free to top your pierogies with some plain Greek yogurt. It’s the perfect swap for sour cream!
While you’re enjoying these comforting dumplings, take the time to log them in the NuMi app! Easily track your meals, water and weight loss throughout your journey. Click here to log this recipe in NuMi >
Turkey is a great PowerFuel choice that fits perfectly into the Nutrisystem program. Enjoy these other recipes featuring this lean protein:
- Italian Turkey and Mozzarella Burger >
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili >
- Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash Pasta >
- Tortellini With Hearty Ground Turkey >
- Turkey, Apple & Swiss Waffle Sandwich >
- Crunchy Turkey Taco Wrap >
Enjoy losing weight with delicious meals and snacks from Nutrisystem. Learn more about our meal plans >
Servings: 10 (1 serving = 4 pierogies)
Calories per Serving: 247
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp. canola oil
- 12 oz. lean ground turkey, raw
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- To make dough, combine 2 tablespoons of canola oil with yogurt, egg and water. Pour in flour and mix well. Cover and let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet to medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. Season with black pepper and garlic powder. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out circles in dough using a cookie cutter or a cup.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each circle.
- Fold the circles into half-circles and press to seal the edges using a fork.
- Place pierogies on a cookie sheet and freeze.
- When ready to cook, heat skillet with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and fry until they are golden on both sides. Add remaining tablespoon of canola oil as needed.
- Top with any remaining turkey mixture and serve.